Clogged exhaust pipe

Started by chuck, September 14, 2009, 12:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuck

What's the best way to clean out an exhaust pipe with built up carbon?  I don't have an oven big enough to through it in. Al Buehner suggested building a fire and put in on the hot coals. I live in town and no fires allowed.

Does carbon build up more in the head or the end towards the silencer?

Thanks for the help.

Chuck

72 125 Six Days
72 100 Berkshire
74 250 Hare Scrambles
72 Wassel

72 125 Six Days
72 100 Berkshire
74 250 Hare Scrambles
72 Wassel

brian kirby

Propane or MAP gas torch.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

TGTech

When I'm cleaning pipes, I used an oxy-acelylene torch and heat the pipe up to red and it burns everything out. You have to do the process outside, because there is a whole lot of smoke. When it cools down, then you can take a screw driver and "bump" against the pipe and it will clean everything out. Obviously when it's done, you will have to repaint the pipe.

Dane

tomale

I use a propane torch and it works well but I have been told you can take it to a auto machine shop and have it boiled out.... It should be pretty cheap and it would be really clean.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Rain Man

I cut one in half once and sand blasted the indise  and welded it back together.It was full of barn stuff...
 There's no second guessing weather its crudded up or not after all that.  Acorns can take awhile to burn out...

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

tomale

I was wondering that today. not that there is any chance of acorns. but It would not be the first time I have found strange stuff in the cylinder of a bike. Several years ago, a friend of mine had been given this bike. The reason... it would not turn over. there was no carb on the bike but someone had put a piece of plastic over the intake. the short story is that upon inspection we found some very dead mice inbetween the piston and the crank. I have a bike that does not start.. it has spark and is timed and yes it has gas. the funny thing is that I rode the bike a few months ago and it ran fine.

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W