72 sixday engine braces

Started by bbeck3100, September 11, 2009, 03:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbeck3100

Need a set of engine braces for my 72 Sixday show bike. I had a set, but gave them to a guy who needed them about 2 years ago. i'm willing to pay handsomely if anyone has a set they can part with.

Thanks
Blair Beck
73 hare Scrambler
72 Sixday

Gavin Housh

Blair, I've never seen a sixday with the braces installed. That doesn't mean that the bikes didn't come with them, only that it is not something I've seen. My 72 doesn't have the holes drilled in the gussets, but my later frames both have the holes and the engines of coarse have the hole through the cases for an 8mm or 5/16 bolt. I wonder if you could use the braces from an early Jackpiner? I have some jackpiner braces you could try and if they work they would be easy to find a set on ebay, as I need them for a project bike in the future. Email me, I'm in the east bay [email protected] I'd like to talk Pentons with you. Gavin Housh

firstturn

Gavin and Blair,
  The Steve Wise Penton I owned had them.  In talking with Steve's Mechanic Jimmy Strait he said that is the only way they could keep an engine in the frame on the long Motos back in the early 1970s.  I do not know where they cam from, but they looked factory.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

thrownchain

I bought a Six Day out of Mich., that only had one brace on it.. the one with the slight "dogleg" in it.

rob w

Those are pretty rare, because they were such a short lived concept. (Hassle of carburetor access out weighed their intended function)
I have some that were on a 201 or 202 Six-Day. Sorry, they're still part of that one's future.
They also were'nt designed strong enough, (vibration, flex, etc.) both of mine were broken at the bend, near the lower holes.

Bob

tofriedel

They must be rare as none of my parts manuals show them on 71's or 72 models.

Tony
Tony

checkcrew

Here are pics of my unrestored 72, build date #203, has both of the engine braces in place. Blair i have several of these braces loose in a box, i will look to see if i have a set, at least i have a bike to compare them to !!, i will let you know, regards, Mike G.

Mike Gallagher, Camden County, NJ.
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

bbeck3100

Thanks, Mike......

My 72 I purchased as a kid in May 72 had them as well...any help will be greatly appreciated....

Thanks
blair

tdthigpen

I always wondered what those tabs were for.Now I know,thanks Blair and Mike. Tom T

Thom Thigpen
1974 125 Six Days (21c)
1972 125 Six Days
Thomas Thigpen
1974 125 Six Days   1972 125 Six Days (2)

checkcrew

Blair, hi, i went thru all my boxes and only found the short straight braces, round tube style that would be correct but none long enough or with the dog leg to fit under the cylinder, i believe they are for the 73 and early 74 250 Harescrambler, sorry i couldn't come thru, i will keep an eye out for you.
regards, Mike G.
PS: i just went to the featured bike section and looked at your 73 250 HS, that is the style brace i have !!

Quotequote:Originally posted by bbeck3100

Thanks, Mike......

My 72 I purchased as a kid in May 72 had them as well...any help will be greatly appreciated....

Thanks
blair

Mike Gallagher, Camden County, NJ.
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]