6-day, Selector pawl/selector boss, which gear

Started by garrettccovington, December 06, 2009, 07:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garrettccovington

When I went racing at CE, I was missing up shifts 1 to 2nd. When I upshifted again It hit 3rd.  Tooo slow and up hill.  Every hill killed me because of this "overshift" and I would have to slow, shift into 1st, until I got to the top of the hill. The motor was screaming.  
 I only had a few missed shifts with this bike as a kid.

ANYWAYS,

Clymer repair handbook m427 says to adjust the transmission Selector Pawl/Selector Boss "Play" between 1st and 2nd.
My original Penton Manual (Page 50) Says to check play  "distance", Downshifting, between nuetral and first then check play "distance" Upshifting from 5th into 6th.  Play distance should be equal, if not, adjust.

OK, any ideas?  It doesnt look to hard.  Kip Kern Back in 2001 suggested, the Selector pedal be shimed correctly.  So I will be looking into that too.  I'd rather do 1-2, but n-1 then 5-6 should'nt be to hard.

Note:  1 of my brother's fessed up and said 2nd was "blown out", but It never "poped" out of gear.

G

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

joe novak

Hey, Doug Wilford, can you help him out?   Penton manual states that the transmission should be adjusted so that the overshift is equal in the lowest gear, and the highest gear.   "Pay no attention to 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear.  If 1st and 5th (on the 5 speed SACHS) shift properly with a slight overshift, your transmission will operate properly." p.52   If you are having a problem shifting from 1st to 2nd, you might check the "gear lcoking device" adjustment.  It also affects shifting.  To adjust the transmission correctly, both the overshift and the gear locking device need to be performed.   If you do not have the Penton manual or access to it, let me know.  I can photocopy the page and send it to you.  If you ride a SACHS, it is a good idea to learn transmission adjustment.   Try it, it will only get better, or worse. I know you can master it! joe  p.s.  I always run a spring-loaded folding shifter on SACHS hoping that a fall, roots, deep mud, or other does not snag the shifter and "UN" adjust it.

garrettccovington

My original Manual only goes to page 50.  So I didn't see that part  I was going to call Al B. in the morning and order a Manual for Both my 79 KTM and one for my 72 6-day.  Reading in past posts, there was mention of a little section he adds to the manuals he sells about adjusting Transmisions.

Also I have noticed differences between both manuals.

Thanks G

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

garrettccovington

I ordered the Penton repair handbook and special adjusting tool from Al B this morning.  Should have them by Thursday.

G

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

joe novak

Did you attempt to adjust the SACHS transmission?  It is confusing at first, but try, try, again, and you will succeed.

Ron

Joe,
My 6 speed 125/b doesn't have a gear lock. I think only the earlier 5 speed have it.
Seems like a good idea though. Wonder why they changed?
RonW

TGTech

Garrett,

You need to have the tool to set on the side case, to accurately set the shifting adjustment. If you don't have the tool, then you won't set the adjustment properly.

And if the shimming isn't properly, then the setting won't go properly.  

You need to go to second and third gear and set the adjustment between those two gears.

Dane

garrettccovington

It was like Christmas today.  Got the tool and Manual today from Al B.  Having a complete manual is awesome.  
I was wondering if I needed to go back inside the cases, But one of my brothers fessed up again and said Colins and Son's (My Local Penton Dealer) rebuilt the motor Twice.  That is why it has the stock 6-Day pipe back on it and Type 84 carb.  I was asking him about my other Penton pipe, the one with the stinger.

Anyways.

I was reading the manual "Brief Instructions" and it mentioned something about using a shorter shifter.  After yesterdays "Front fork" test I really do need to adjust it.

It really doesn't look that difficult.  I hope I don't have to remove the clutch hub, cause, I don't have that tool. Oops!

Between the 2 manuals and Fellow POGer's advice it looks like Overshift should be the same in all gears.

I'm gonna get in there and take a look this weekend.  

G

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250