rim lock question

Started by tvrc18, December 25, 2009, 12:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tvrc18

I asked this question on another forum but wanted the POG input also. I just mounted a new Kenda 772 tire, real stiff side wall by the way and a bugger to mount but the rim lock is only sticking out about 1 inch, not the normal 2 inches or so. The bead poped out ok and I have let the air out a few times and pushed the lock up into the tire and aired it back up but it still does not seem to stick out like it should. The manual called for a 2.15 rim lock and that is what I used and the tire is a 100/100. If part of the tube was under the rim lock it should have already pinched a hole in it maybe as I have put 40 psi or so in it to pop the bead. I did use a heavy duty tube however. Any suggestions other than dis mounting the tire and looking.
Terry

Britt Boyette

Are you sure it's centered in the rim?

Britt Boyette
1976 125 MC5
Britt Boyette

77 Husky WR250
76 RM370
06 KX450f flat tracker/ MX racer
09 Kawasaki Versys

tvrc18

I think it is but maybe it is cocked a little to one side. I hate to take the tire back off because it was so hard to get on and I was suprised I did not pinch the tube getting it on there.
Terry

Paul Danik

Terry,

While getting ready for the ISDTRR I had the same situation as far as having the rim lock bolt not being straight out from the rim.  I did have the tube under the rim lock, the tube was under the same side of the rim lock that the bolt was pointing towards.  

Paul  

joe novak

Hello,  Bead locks can be troublesome to install correctly.   Someone showed me a trick that works really well.  After installing the inner tube in the tire, inflate it almost full, but low pressure.   That way there is less inflated rubber to get caught under the tire bead or rim lock.

tvrc18

I did put some air in the tube before spooning the last side on to make sure the tube was fully seated up in the tire. This was the most heavy duty tube I have ever seen, it must weigh 4 pounds. It was all the local dealer had in stock at the time. I am hoping the bead is just wider than most tires and it just will nut pull down like a normal one. It is a Kenda 772 Carlsbad and did seem to have a pretty hefty bead.
Terry