"Floaties" In My Gas

Started by garrettccovington, December 21, 2009, 11:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garrettccovington

When I was draining my 1979 KTM MC80 250cc tank after my test run, I noticed some "white-ish looking floaties" draining out of the tank.  Could this be the plastic tank being disovled from unleaded gas use?  I used VP C-12 which is Leaded fuel for my test run, so, I know its not from me. Or, is it varnish?  The float bowl and carb was completly varnished up.  I cleaned that up pretty good and the bike ran really nice.  I'm gonna soak the tank in hot water tomorrow in Barstow and hopefully get most of the white stuff out.  The tank seems sturdy and is the typical light tan color on all old KTM white tanks

Note: the Plastic Back Fender, back half of the Side panels and plastice chain guide are very brittle.  The front fender, still is flexible, but is very aged.  Almost like the bike sat 1/2 covered in the desert for 25 years, with the front covered, but the back exposed.

I'm gonna get a filter and strain the gas to see if i can get most of the floaties out of the gas I have.  Or should I just throw the gas in my 71 chevy beater pick up?

G

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

tomale

Garrett, I doubt that it is the gas tank desolving. It is my quess that it is varnish. My bike sat for a lot of years and I thought I was careful to draing the tank but after a few rides I started having junk plugging up the petcock and fuel filter.. do a search on this site, it is a subject that has been talked about alot....Good luck

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

garrettccovington

DOOHHH. Mike, Your right!!!  I should of done a message search 1st.
"Tank Mung" gave me some good ideas.  I always get sidestep reading those old replies.  They are great!

G

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

garrettccovington

Double DOOHHH. I mean "Thom" your right

G

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

garrettccovington

Thom
Those suggestions for "Tang mung" worked great.  I let some acetone sit in it for a couple of house and it came out clean as a whistle.

Just took the bike for a test ride and its runs pretty darn good.

Merry Christmas
G

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

tomale

Gee.
that is great to hear, love that search button. there are some amazing guys on the site who really know their stuff. they have pulled my back side out of the muck a few times.

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W