motocross & harescramble riders from 70's

Started by Dean531, November 28, 2000, 11:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dean531

hi guys, any former motocross or harescamble riders from the 70's out there that raced mainly in western pennsyvania, northern west virginia or eastern ohio?  if so where did you race most often? lets hear from you.

Paul Danik

Hi Dean,
   I am from Mars, PA and rode at a good many tracks in the late sixtys and into the seventys in the area that you asked about.  Some of the tracks were as follows, Grove City MC Club, Sunset Riders in Butler, PA.  Freedom Acers, Knox MC Club, Murrysville Raceway,Bel Mesa in WV, Amherst Medowlarks in Amherst, Ohio, Central Pennsylvania Motocross Park,Honda Hills, Hill and Gully riders Meadville PA.Leaping Linx MC Club.  The events varied from MX and harescrambles to observed trials, dirt drags,hill climbing and scrambles. All riding was done on a 125 Penton.  You must be from the area, where did you ride??  What did you ride?? Are you riding now??
Paul Danik

Dean531

I'm from Burgettstown. I started on hillclimbs but soon found out that motocross and harescambles were the thing to do. I raced at Rocky Ridge, Hanover Trail Riders, Bel Mesa, Overland Trail Riders, Leap n Linx,Penny Hollow, Murrysville, Freedom Acres, Knox, Hi Point, Dillionvalle Ohio, Salem and Ravenna Ohio, Tarentum, Track n Trail in WV., and probably some I can't recall. I raced Yamaha's early then a "73" Jackpiner, "74" Jackpiner, "75" Jackpiner, "76" Bultaco, and Yamaha again in 77 & 78. The "75" Penton was by far the best and I'm currently rebuilding it. I still have this one along with the Bultaco. I started riding again this past summer when I bought a Kawasaki KLR250 for street and trail. Nice to hear from you. Dean531

Paul Danik

To what extent are you redoing the Piner?  Do you have any other Pentons?  If I am correct, your machine can be set up with the shocks in the "old style position", or on a 45 degree angle. If that is the case you could ride in the AHRMA Vintage harescrambles series.We have a ride that we attend, near Meadville,PA ,in the spring.It is a 30 mile off road poker run. I run my old Berkshire and some of the guys bring their 250s and even an old Puch and a Husky have been known to show up. Keep an eye out in the newsletter for the dates, you ought to try and come up.  We also go to Marienville and ride the ATV trails in the National Forest.  Have you ever gone over to the BSA rally in Toronto, Ohio??  They have a great two day vintage trials in the spring that we always attend?
Paul

Dean531

Hi Paul, I'm painting my 175 and repairing or replacing things such as tires, shocks, levers, grips, whatever it needs. As far as the engine goes it runs as good as it did 25 years ago, which was fantastic. You are correct about the shocks, I usually run it at 45 degrees. The Meadville ride sounds like fun, I'll have to check my work schedule when the time comes. My wifes uncle is a member of the group that puts on the BSA rally. I made it to last springs rally. Dean

Paul Danik

Who is your wife's uncle from the Ohio Valley BSA Group?  I just picked up my Jackpiner frame today from the blast shop.  They blasted and primed the frame, swingarm and side stand.  We are working now on a color match on the original paint. This bike is a rider but we want to get it as close as possible.  The cylinder is being bored to 1st over and should be ready for pickup tomorrow.  We are going to run the Dunlap 756 tires, what are you going to use?  We have a good parts source right up near me, Jake Fischer has a parts room that looks like the old Penton warehouse. He is located just south of Butler, PA on route 8.  I just picked up a new rear sprocket and a few other pieces last Monday.  There is also a guy that sells all of the metric nuts and bolts just north of Pittsburgh on route 8. We can't be more than 1/2 hour apart, you have to stop over and meet the rest of the gang from this area.  We lie and tell stories when ever we get the chance!!! You may have raced against my buddy, Brett Watson, he used to run at Rocky Ridge on a Honda.  He now has a Penton MC5 and a 95 Yamaha YZ 125.  
Catch ya later, Paul.

Dean531

Sounds like your Jackpiner will be looking pretty good. I'm not sure what tires I'll put on mine, for now I'm going to take both front and rear tires and rims off a "78" KTM 250 I got from a buddy. I've been to Jake Fischer's shop last spring. He showed me around his parts room and I felt like a kid again seeing all those Penton parts. I saw Jake again at VMD's. My wife's uncle is Ed Cashdoller. He's been in OV BSA for a long time. Your buddy's name sounds familiar but I can't place him.  Dean

SCOTT CURTIS

I am a new member (12/5/00)  I have lived in Meadville, PA all of my life and my buddies and I rode Hare Scrambles in 1973, 1974, and 1975. I rode a 175, one friend rode a 250 and my other friend competed in the open class on a 450 Husky.  We raced at Knox, Oil City, Grove city, Meadville, Mespo (Ohio) and Burning Springs, NY. Mostly Hare Scrambles although a few enduros.  My teenaged boys now ride with me.  My friend has 96 acres which we have a 3 mile track on.  We try to ride at least once a week. My modern bike is a 1999 380 KTM, my boys ride 250s honda and yam.  Decided to restore some old vintage bikes (Euro of course)  Completed a 1973 400 Husky (beautiful), 1973 380 CZ, and currently a 1974 Berkshire.  The penton should be done in 2 months. Bike started on the first kick after sitting 22 years!!!  I must say I really enjoy the recent success of the KTMs after watching the Japanese kick their teeth in for so many years.