magnesium cases

Started by William Burmeister, January 30, 2002, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

William Burmeister

Does anyone know if a small crack along the upper edge of the right side engine case ('74 250) can be satisfactorily welded? I know some magnesium alloys are easily welded, while others are not. Any experience with this?

skipperclyde

I don't know anything about welding magnesium.  What I do have is a 175 with a welded case around the retaining bolt for the kick-starter spring.  It is very neat and very strong.  So I know it can be done, just don't know how or by whom.

Patrick Hayes

Magnesium can be welded very easily. The key to tig welding magnesium is extreme cleanliness. Magnesium itself does not catch fire when welded properly. The dust from grindingm and sanding does.Look for a local tig welder in the phone book and they can easily weld it up for you. I did my 495 case recently and KTM's material is the best I have ever welded.

Dr.2Stroke

You welder has to take care about the welding bar.the material which you weld magnesium must be a special alloy,so not every welding store has it! KTM cases are built of 93 to 96 elektron,means the alloy contains 93 percent magnesium. They also changed the alloy in 1980,when 250 cases always got cracks!