Sorry I missed . . .

Started by OhioTed, February 06, 2010, 08:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioTed

No POG camera at this year's Penton Day at the AMA, folks.  Sorry about that, but this is what I found outside, come daybreak.

Ma's 4wd is down over the hill, there in the barn.  Not coming out for a while.

I cleared a path out to the road, only to find it had not been plowed.  I'm out in the country, see, and the road department doesn't get to us for a while.  

thrownchain

By upstate NY standards, thats a good start, good snowmobiling weather...;)

Lew Mayer

I don't expect to see a plow come by for a while, either and I'm on a main road. They're concentrating on major highways only around here.   Good day to watch motorcycle movies.:D

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Mark P

Pictures remind me of my parents home back in Garrett County MD. Also winters of 76-77 and 77-78. We made up the snow days in school by going to extended school days and as I recall, extending the school year until the end of June.  I think we missed almost six weeks of school winter 76-77. Remember my mom inviting the National Guard troops clearing the road in for coffee. We use to have an engineer unit stationed in Oakland that helped the county roads with plowing and snow blowing. They air dropped hay and coal to farmers that year also.

Bob Marsh

What is that stuff covering everything??

JCHubbard

Quotequote:Originally posted by Mark P

Pictures remind me of my parents home back in Garrett County MD. Also winters of 76-77 and 77-78. We made up the snow days in school by going to extended school days and as I recall, extending the school year until the end of June.  I think we missed almost six weeks of school winter 76-77. Remember my mom inviting the National Guard troops clearing the road in for coffee. We use to have an engineer unit stationed in Oakland that helped the county roads with plowing and snow blowing. They air dropped hay and coal to farmers that year also.

I remember those storms too. Today we've got close to 30 inches here in Columbia, Maryland

JC Hubbard
2008 KTM 250 XC
1985 Husqvarna WR 400
1984 Maico 250 SC
1983 Husqvarna WR 250
1979 Maico 250 GS
JC Hubbard

Rain Man

Go figure, I live in Maine and where riding dirtbikes, the only guys riding too. 14,000 miles of trails sanctioned by the State, and nobodies riding :(

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

garrettccovington

To think, I almost went back to Barstow on my way home to Chino Hills cause it was RAINING!

G

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

Dale Fisher

Saturday morning 4:00am.  I loaded an armload of ISDT material, my picture book and camera  into the truck.  The previous Thursday my truck had given me the first indication of the trouble to come.  After about two miles my service engine light came on and just before entering the freeway we stopped.  Rain nor snow or dark of night involved, just a tired truck and very disapointed driver..Sorry I missed the meeting :(
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

thrownchain

Friend of mine in the Gettysburg are of Pa, tells me they got 33" of snow. Said she hasn't seen that much snow since she left NY.   :D

ALB

Ted, I was wondering why you didn't make it to the meeting.
One things for sure, you couln't work for the Post Office (neither, rain, nor snow, nor ....).:D
Anyways, it's better that you and everyone east got most of it instead of me.
I-71 was snow covered from Cleveland to just north of Delaware, Ohio, where the State started salting the road after plowing. I sure am happy that most of I-71 is 3 lanes wide. This left plenty of room for passing on the way down and less chance of landing in a ditch if something should happen. It normally take me 2-1/2 hours to get to the Museum. Saturday morning it took me 3 hours ... which mean that I didn't hour out. Of course the only reason that I did make it down was I traded my Dodge Van for my brother's Dodge mini-van. Boy, nothings better than front wheel drive in the white stuff.

I talked to Kip and he passed both "special tests sections" going to and from the Museum. John Penton would be proud of him. What amazes me is that he did it in a rear wheel drive Van.

Keep shoveling and make sure to rest once in a while and make some "snow angels." Oh, by the way, is your neighbor clearing the snow off the tracks for his train? [:o)]

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

OhioTed

Hey, thanks for remembering Chuck's garden railroad, Al.  If he is going to run any trains now he had better hook up a plow on the front of the big diesel engine.  

Tuesday night I finally had to break down and cut a path down to the barn & get the 4wd truck out.  Some drifts three feet deep.  The driveway is starting to look like an alley, what with the snow piled up on each side.  Walkway up to the front door is like a hallway, with sheer sides.  

Amazing my old snowblower can handle this stuff.  Cutting any fresh paths means the 'blower is basically digging a tunnel, with the snow constantly falling down on top of it.  I do believe this is the most snow I have ever dealt with - keeping in mind that I missed about ten year's worth when I was living in Florida.