1973 1/2 Berkshire 100

Started by Ken, February 18, 2010, 10:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

I have a Berkshire that I have decided to part with and this post is to check and see if I am doing things right, before I post all the details and pictures. I am having some trouble adding pictures.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your patience.  Kenny  

Thanks for your help Karen!  I hope the link works!

http://s789.photobucket.com/albums/yy171/kmgarst/

I am the original owner of this 1973½ Berkshire 100.  I purchased it new in Weatherford, Oklahoma during the summer of 1973. My home is in Louisiana, but my parents were school teachers, so when school was out for the summer we made our way up to the family farm in Oklahoma to help out with wheat harvest, getting the hay in, plowing the wheat ground, etc.  I was able to save about half of the money to buy my "racing bike"!   My dad loaned me the rest and I paid him back 20 dollars per week with proceeds from my "after school job", bagging groceries at the local Piggly Wiggly.

I raced my Penton at local motocross tracks that fall and managed to trophy each time, except when a crash left my big toe swollen to the point of not being able to get my boots back on! HA   The following year I raced a few times, but when one of my buddies was injured during practice and I knocked the front skirt off of the piston that same morning, my racing career was put on hold.  

A friend's dad wanted his son to race the Penton, so I traded some cash and my bike for a Honda SL350.  This was about the time that Yamaha came out with the monoshock and my friend's dad went out and bought one of the first ones in this area.  My old Penton was never raced again.  It had a minimal amount of trail riding in the summer of 1974, then it sat in their barn until about 1988.  My buddies baby brother came by my house one day with "my" Penton in the back of his pickup. I climbed up in the truck and kicked it to life!  Boy, it was tempting to take it for a spin, and to this day, I can't remember why I didn't!  HA   Anyhow, a few months later, the older brother called me and told me that the Penton was sitting in his backyard and he was going to haul it off if I didn't want it.  As it happened, we had ended up living about a mile and a half apart, so I hopped in my pickup and went and got "my bike".  I kept it in a barn for about four years, then moved it into my shop with intentions of restoring it.  Time got by and I ended up hanging it from the rafters to get it out of the way until 2006, when I moved about 20 miles to get my children into another school district.   I got the Penton down and brought it with us.  It has remained in a barn on the property where we live until yesterday, 2-17-10.  

I have been a regular "looker" at the POG site since 2005, but have remained a silent member.  Each time I visit I still get the desire to restore the old Berkshire, but it is quite obvious that that is not going to happen, so it is with some regret that I am offering my old bike to some worthy  POGGER.  My only request is that when I retire in a few years, that I might be able to come by and take it for a spin, and also be offered "right of first refusal" if you ever decide to part with it.

Here is some information on the bike:
1.   Gas cap is missing
2.   Clutch cable and lever is missing
3.   Choke cable and lever is missing
4.   Kick stand is broken off
5.   Motor is seized up
6.   Fork seals are bad
7.   Surface rust on everything that will rust (Louisiana has high humidity)
8.   Nut missing on middle muffler bracket
9.   Rubber on boot from carb to airbox is hard, but seems to be intact.
10.   Rear shocks are not original
11.   Rubber is gone from front number plate
12.   Bolt is missing from bottom of the airbox cover
13.   Front brake cable is not hooked up and part of it might be missing
14.   I have the original front fender, and it's in pretty good condition
15.   Preston Petty Mudders are not broken, but are probably somewhat brittle.
16.   Throttle cable works(I can hear the slide bottom out when the throttle is released)
17.   The tires are the originals, so you can judge how much the bike has actually been ridden
18.   I can rock the bike back and forth and the transmission shifts
19.   I am almost positive that the chain and sprockets are original, too.
20.   I never did get the title back on the bike.
21.   I would really like to get $700 for the bike and I will ship it to you for whatever it costs me.
22.   I have not made any attempt to get the motor freed up
23.   If I remember correctly, I did have the cylinder bored 30 thousandths over, and installed a new piston, prior to trading my Penton to my friend.

I want to find a good home for my Berkshire and I certainly would prefer for it to be restored, and not to end up as a parts bike.  Thanks for your time.  Kenny

joe novak

Hello,  A Berkshire is just what I was searching for.   I'm eager to see what condition your Penton is in.  Joe

Charles Gresham

[:p]

1974 Penton 250 Hare Scrambler
1973 Honda CL 100
1983 Honda XL 185
1993 Yamaha RT 180
1974 Penton 250 Hare Scrambler
1976 Penton GS6 125
1974 Yamaha MX100
1973 Honda CL 100
1978 Suzuki RM 125
1983 Honda XL 185
1993 Yamaha RT 180

VICTOR MONZ

Joe.

I think it has you name all over it !  Hope it is close by you.
Victor

Joe.  Buy yourself a plane ticket and ride this one home        [/img]....kinda like John Penton's Famous ride.....the headlines would read "Joe Novak rides from Southern California to Avon, Ohio in 48 days"  breaks his butt doing so and loses 40 lbs"

Good luck shopping.

xracer

hope to see some pics soon been looking for one awhile now later dave when in doubt gas it

G Ellis

Dave I have a 100 that needs some TLC.:D:D Later Gary

xracer

gary send me some pics along with some of my other bike when you get a chance dave when in doubt gas it  thanks

G Ellis

Dave you just might buy one get one free. Later Gary

xracer

joe novak

Ken,  I have replied to your email via your "profile".   Not sure if you have received it.  I have been told that the email part of the POG system has been non-functional for some time now.   I am wondering what shipping might be since I live in Ohio which is 20 hrs. and 1200 miles away from Dry Creek.    Joe Novak  (email is [email protected])

joe novak

Ken,  I have replied to your email via your "profile".   Not sure if you have received it.  I have been told that the email part of the POG system has been non-functional for some time now.   I am wondering what shipping might be since I live in Ohio which is 20 hrs. and 1200 miles away from Dry Creek.    Joe Novak  (email is [email protected])

VICTOR MONZ

Joe.

I can ship my Berkie shown above to you for $350, plus the purchase price of the bike.  To you doorstep.

Victor

Ken

Quotequote:Originally posted by joe novak

Hey Joe,   I can ship the bike to Columbus for $285 to a residence or $200 to a business.  I will need to know what town to ship to give an exact quote.  Thanks for your interest,  Kenny