rear wheel spacer bushing.......

Started by Steve Minor, February 13, 2002, 09:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

On my 1977 400 GS6, the rear wheel has a spacer bushing seperating the 2 wheel bearings. The ends are different and now I can't remember which end goes toward the brake side of the wheel. The part looks like a metal spool....One end is almost flush and the other end, the inner tube extends through the round end plate about 1/2" and is notched.

My manual shows the part in an exploded diagram, but it's vague as to which end goes on which side of the wheel....

Any help will be appreciated!

Steve

Edited by - steve minor on 02/13/2002  09:49:43 AM
Steve Minor

Paul Danik

Steve,
  I believe that the notch is used to get access to drive out the wheel bearing from the center axle area. It really shouldn't make a difference which way you put it back in, but the end with the notch will be the first wheel bearing that you have to remove the next time you get into that chore.

LINDEMAN

Quotequote:
On my 1977 400 GS6, the rear wheel has a spacer bushing seperating the 2 wheel bearings. The ends are different and now I can't remember which end goes toward the brake side of the wheel. The part looks like a metal spool....One end is almost flush and the other end, the inner tube extends through the round end plate about 1/2" and is notched.

My manual shows the part in an exploded diagram, but it's vague as to which end goes on which side of the wheel....

Any help will be appreciated!

Steve

Edited by - steve minor on 02/13/2002  09:49:43 AM

LINDEMAN

sorry about that. I wanted to mention while you are working on those bearings make sure the sprocket side is tight in the hub. I have seen the hubs stretch on that side.Probably from chain being too tight.Any way you can cut that spacer off the thickness of one bearing and put two bearings on the sprocket side making it quite durable.