BBBBerkshires?

Started by rexschwerdt, February 08, 2002, 11:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rexschwerdt

I kicked the CC habit many years ago with a growing fettish for smaller 2 stroke motorcycles.
Can any help me or am I just doing the mid-life thing by longing for a 100cc Berkshire, Beta, Baja or B+?
Is there anyone that can bring me up to speed on the Penton 100cc Berkshire? From what little I know about itis a way cool     machine.
A friend of mines dad had a 6-day 125, '72 or 73 but that is about as close as I have ever come to a Penton.
And......if... there is a good MC schrink available, please contact me.....2 Stroke Eddie says Ride On!!

2 Stroke Eddie
2 Stroke Eddie

Larry Perkins

Eddie

The Berkshire was probably one of the very best 100cc motocrossers made in "The Day" in that class.  It was by far the best 100cc enduro bike ever.

In "The Day" where I lived in Central Texas the 125 class was the biggest then it was about a toss-up between the 250 class and the 100 class.  Even after the Japanese began to kill the European 125 on the MX tracks the Berkshire was still a potent weapon on the still trailbike oriented Japanese 100's.  Like it's 125 Six Days brother though the writing was on the wall and eventually hop-up shops began to sleeve down the Elsinore and the YZ and soon the Japanese followed with bikes like the YZ 100.  The Sachs Penton was gone and not that many years later so was the 100cc class as 80's began to grow in size as all motorcycles did.

I really wish AHRMA would consider a 100cc class because it is a big part of many Vintage racers heritage.  It would bring out bikes like the Berkshire and Super Rat Hodaka.  

In the meantime I see many Berkshires turned into Six Days because they are more desireable.  I think the future might show Berkshires becoming more collectible as they become more rare.  From the parts stand point I have a lot of Sachs parts but there is a bunch more 100 cc pistons and I still have I think 6 NOS 100cc Sachs heads and cylinders.  This is a plus when restoring.

Berhshires were and are great bikes.  Alot of races werew won on them.  I won a National Amatuer Championship in the Astrodome on one and Dane L. won alot of Gold on the Penton Team with one.  They were a full sized fairly bullet-proof 100cc scoot.  

Maybe there is one out there with your name on it?  You don't need a shrink, you're not crazy, come on in the water is fine and you will get used to the straightjackets after awhile.

metalkfab

I fully agree with Larry in regards to Berkshires.Owned a 72 and 74 , and really enjoyed both . So much that I bought and restored a 74 last year and will Never part with it.Good luck trying to find one , they seem to be scarce .Also ,the waters always warm and cozy in POG-ville.

Rocket

As long as the topic is Berkshire's, I will mention the 1977 that I am restoring.  I did not realize that any Berkshire's were produced after 75, but my frame serial number is 703 93854.  I bought this bike from a gentleman in Iowa and he worked at a Penton dealership in the 70's and remembers 2 of these bikes being sold.  It was the Enduro model with the bigger watermelon looking gas tank.  The frame looks like the earlier model's but this has the 35mm forks.  When I get this done I will try and post a picture.
Rocket

rexschwerdt

Quotequote:
I fully agree with Larry in regards to Berkshires.Owned a 72 and 74 , and really enjoyed both . So much that I bought and restored a 74 last year and will Never part with it.Good luck trying to find one , they seem to be scarce .Also ,the waters always warm and cozy in POG-ville.

2 Stroke Eddie
2 Stroke Eddie

rexschwerdt

QuoteEddie

Seems as though I remember "The Day" also and all joking aside, I truly appreciate your response. I am somewhat new to the "Net" and have been hanging out on the Hodaka channel, but it is quite obvious you Penton guys are a lot more fun!!
And, as I get a little older I have found that quantity is no substitute for quality.
I [once] saw picture of a Berkshire and probably still have it in one of my old mags. It apparently is a highly regarded MC and I should not expect anything less from Jack Penton and Co.
I don't want to muddy the waters, but do you have any input on the Beta or HD Baja 100cc machines mentioned?
Thanks for the come back - 2 Stroke Eddie.

2 Stroke Eddie
2 Stroke Eddie

rexschwerdt

Quote.
I really appreciate your response but can you help me out a little?
I am kind of new to the "Net" and no computer wiz and I do not know if when I responed to Larry's reply if all replys were answered or just his.
I enjoyed your reply as well, and don't want to shun my newly found Penton buddies, so if you could coach me through the system a little I can avoid sending out multiple notes.
And, not even 2 Stroke Eddie knows where POG-ville is. Can you enlighten us? Thats All.

2 Stroke Eddie
2 Stroke Eddie

OUCWBOY

Just posted a Berkshire on E-Bay. Item #1804227400.
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

scott brogan

My first bike was [and still have] a 73 berkshire. And now after all these years[I bought it in 75 when I was 15] it stil brings me immense happiness. It got me involved whith POG. You will not find a better group of people to know than Penton people.  oh and POGville why thats just across the road from shangra-la!