1984 Ktm 125 MX Wanted

Started by Tom Fox, March 17, 2010, 01:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Fox

Hi:

Looking for a 1984 KTM 125 MX For Sale. Also looking for parts sources and manuals for parts schematic. Any help is appreciated.

Tom from Missouri[8D]

Steve Minor

Welcome aboard Tom...I can't help you with the bike, but Al Buehner might have the manual and some parts.....or a lead on a manual and parts. His contact info is under "suppliers" on the homepage, but I'll also show the link below.

http://www.pentonpartsusa.com/

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

Larry Perkins

Tom,

I have some part and service manual stuff on that bike as well as some used parts stuff.  Where are you in Missouri?  I am in Strafford which is close to Springfield.  E-mail me at [email protected] and I will see what all I have.

Larry P

VICTOR MONZ

Out of curiousity when did the KTM 125 go to water cooled...or better yet what was the last year they were air cooled ?

Anyone got one ?  Trade for a 1973 Jackpiner (see below)?  I may have interest in a trade of equal value or your 125 KTM air cooled 80'ish and cash for the 1973 beautiful Jackpiner 175.

Victor
[email protected]

sachsmx

Victor, in 1981 KTM offered the 125 LC, their first production water cooled 125cc MX'er. They were pretty slick and had the radiator mounted horizontally under the fuel tank. The engine still had short fins on the cylider and head. They also had an in-line thermostat. You could also buy a 125cc air cooled MC and GS model that year. In 1982 they dropped the air cooled 125 MC model but you could still get an air cooled 125 GS. I believe 1983 was the first year they didn't offer an air cooled 125cc bike. This is all for the US market. I'm not quite sure what they offered in Europe, but I know they offered a water cooled 50 or 80cc off raod bike in the late 1970s for the European market. It used a Sachs engine with an integrated radiator.

brian kirby

The water cooled 125s prior to '84 had serious reliability issues, I dont remember exactly which years, but I do know that the new engine for '84 resolved most of those problems.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

sachsmx

I don't remember the early 125 LCs being any less reliable than their Japanese counterparts, but there may have been some issues concerning the waterpump or other coolant related issues. There was a big learning curve for manufacturers, dealers, and especially riders when the H2O bikes came out.
You didn't see many KTM 125s in my area back in the day, even though we had an excellent dealer. Most of the guys, including me, were riding 250 and open classer's. Also, those were my "Maico years", which may be another reason I don't recall any reliability issues.

brian kirby

I cant remember the specific years, but I remember in '82 or '83 every guy I knew (3 or 4) with a KTM125 blew it up, some kind of problem with the rod I recall.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

VICTOR MONZ

I purchased an aircooled KTM 125 MX (not sure on model), I believe it was '80 or so....maybe still with twin shocks?, at Penton Bros. in  Amherst and I won many local races with it.  I really liked the bike and it did a good job holding back the Japanesers.

Sure would like to find one.....on the West Coast, if possible.

Victor

sachsmx

The KTM 125 MX was a twin shocker until 1983 when they came out with the single shock 125 with an all-new engine. The bigger KTMs got the single shock suspension in 1982, except for some of the GS models which remained twin shock until 1983.
I really wanted a 1980 125 RV, but ended up buying a used Hercules 250 instead in the summer of 1979.
I still remember my dealer having a slightly used 420 MC80 that was his son's play bike (until he found out it was too much for him). I wanted that bike badly in 1981 but struck a better deal on a well used 1980 Maico 440 MC with Ohlins shocks and other goodies. It still remains my favorite bike I've ever owned based soley on performance and fit.