Sachs 6D tranny

Started by Cathump, February 11, 2002, 12:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cathump

I have posted about this before, and hate to be a pain, but....

I bought a '74 Six Days with the understanding that it had a locked tranny. I ordered and received the selector key from Larry Perkins, but started playing with the tranny when I took the engine out of the frame.

I was able to get it to shift all the way through the gears several times, and then it would freewheel. When I kept pressure on the shifter, it would then re-engage and shift up and down again for several cycles, and then repeat the disengagement.

Before I split the cases, I would like to ask for opinions as to whether it could be an adjustment, or the selector key.

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for the redundant question. This is my first Penton.

Rick Terry

Kip Kern

I would try to adjust the shifting arm first.  It won't cost you anything.  If that doesn't work, replace the key (you can do it without splitting the cases) then adjust the shift arm to see what you have.  Of course, you will want a penton shop manual close by or the Clymer M427 manual.  Either or, it is pretty simple!  Good Luck

Kip Kern

Oops, almost forgot, don't forget to use the transmission adjusting tool and you will also need a special selector rod removal socket to do the shift key.  Contact Al or Larry for these tools!  Again, good luck

Doug Wilford

I think it is advisable that you need to split the cases and make sure what is going on in side.   If you are planning for long term reliability do it right the first time.

Cathump

I'm gonna split the cases. I looked in my manual, and then inside the clutch side, and cannot figure out how I could do it without splitting.

Looks like I'll be either buying holding tools for the shafts, and a Motoplat puller or making them.

Rick Terry