old dealerships

Started by OhioTed, February 21, 2010, 10:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desmond197

I must say I really liked the hole in the wall dealership experience. I hate going into these big showroom type dealers. No one knows any thing about bikes or equipment. There is no wonder most of these places are closing their doors. Rant over

jeff greenberg

Piasecki's in Toledo, Ohio. Husky's and Penton's. My home away from home. Ah, those were the days!!!
Jeff

OhioTed

The old shop recollections for those of us in NE Ohio would not be complete without mention of Toni Roach's (then Capretta) awesome Dirt Works store.

After my '75 250 Hare Scrambler, I rode Yamahas for a number of years.  However, by the mid-80's I had my sights set on an '84 KTM 250 E/XC - used of course, as I was much too poor (and cheap) to afford a new bike.  Note for Toni:  The one I did eventually purchase was Bill Farmer's bike.  How's that for a name from the past?  

Anyway, a supporting shop would be essential for ownership of the bike and I heard that a new KTM/Husky shop had opened in the Youngstown area.  I headed over there, walked into the coolest little shop - just like the old days, met Toni and (first husband) Dave, and the rest is history.

Dirt Works, which eventually occupied in succession, three different buildings, sold KTM, Husky, and Can-Am.  Toni & Dave provided much more than bikes, parts, and service out of their shop.  Dirt Works instantly became our home away from home.  Without speaking for Toni, we looked upon the shop as more of a club than a business.  ALL of our riding and racing activities centered around Dirt
Works.  The shop was always full of people, just hanging out.  

Via her Proffer Promotions operations, Toni hosted many off-road races, the biggest and most well-know being the annual Toys For Tots Turkey Run.  And, the entire Dirt Works "gang" was always there in force to help out.  Oh, the fun we had at those events - both in setting them up, creating trail, conducting the event, and participating.  

Then there were the famous, year-end Dirt Works Sales.  Right around Christmas Toni would put much of the Dirt Works inventory on sale, and we all descended in force, virtually cleaning the place out.  Then, the Christmas sale culminated in the Dirt Works Christmas parties.  Great times.  

Sadly, Dave is no longer with us, but those years during which Dirt Works existed were the best for a large group of off-road motorcycling enthusiasts, and what better legacy than that to leave to the world.

VICTOR MONZ

Bought my 1972 G5 100 Kawasaki from Avon Suzuki, in Avon, Ohio and dealt with those guys for a lot of years...Floyd Beaty and others I can't remember.  [/img]Here's the Kawasaki before it underwent the famous "mx kit" install, Hooker Header, removed oil injection and lights and addem metzetlers...ended up trading it in a year for a 1971 Steel Tanker Berkshire.

Then I bought bikes from Penton Bros on North Ridge road.

But what was really cool when KTM was the bike, about 1980 or so, when Rod Bush ran the headquarters, I got to look everything new over and then would have to buy it through Penton or Avon Suzuki.

Is Avon Suzuki still operating ?

My sponsor was my Pop, and I cleaned lots of "Symons"  concrete forms on the weekends to earn my keep.

Victor

paul

Hey, anybody remember Jack Piner dealer in N. Lansing MI. They sold Penton and I believe Husqvarna. I had to be 10 or 12 years old because I remember going by the place on the way to the MX track in Lansing at the Jack Pine Lodge which was the Lansing MC clubhouse. That began as a TT track until MX took off. The club had no affiliation with the dealer as far as I know. It sure would be cool to find a dealer decal from the place. Paul