tapered forks non taper triple clamp

Started by mikey, February 08, 2002, 11:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

does anyone know if its ok to run the taper type forks (35mm) in a set of triples w/o the taper? I have a set of trees from a later model but need to use the non leading axle forks for AHRMA. It appears the newer triples bring the rake in a tad?

Cathump

When I was changing to YZ frontsuspension on my TT 500, I put the flat trees on, and while I wasin the process of rebuilding the YZ forks, I installed the straight leg forks in the YZ trees.

I have to say it does quicken steering.... so much that it is fairly dangerous. I started getting head shake at approximately 40 mph.

Rick Terry

mikey

were the YZ tapered at the end? any issue with flex since only part of the top fork is actually grasped in the top clamp because of the taper?

Quotequote:
When I was changing to YZ frontsuspension on my TT 500, I put the flat trees on, and while I wasin the process of rebuilding the YZ forks, I installed the straight leg forks in the YZ trees.

I have to say it does quicken steering.... so much that it is fairly dangerous. I started getting head shake at approximately 40 mph.

Cathump

I misread your message, I was referring to the difference in the lower fork leg, one being leading axle, and one being straight, with different triple trees.

Rick Terry

Doug Wilford

What you need is a set of 74 35mm triple clamps.  They are made for the tapered top. You cannot get any support from the straight top clamp unless you run the fork leg out of the top and that won't cut it either.   I suggest you get the right triple clamps.

mikey

thats what I figured..I have the parts coming I need to get back to the correct set up..tx

Quotequote:
What you need is a set of 74 35mm triple clamps.  They are made for the tapered top. You cannot get any support from the straight top clamp unless you run the fork leg out of the top and that won't cut it either.   I suggest you get the right triple clamps.

Mike Lenz

Thats actually an interesting idea. Some of us mx guys have talked about doing just that to get a little better ft end grab. WE always want just a little bit more of everything, were just that way. You would need to get a couple of tapered rings made up to put over the taper to use in normal trees. Let us know how it worked if you do it.

mikey

its been going thru my mind if I could find a reasonably priced machinist it wouldn't take much to make two taper rings to remove the taper..not sure if the grab would still be there enough to keep them from flexing in the top triple?? I will ponder it a bit more.

Quotequote:
Thats actually an interesting idea. Some of us mx guys have talked about doing just that to get a little better ft end grab. WE always want just a little bit more of everything, were just that way. You would need to get a couple of tapered rings made up to put over the taper to use in normal trees. Let us know how it worked if you do it.

Gavin Housh

I've had some tapered rings made that work under race conditions without any noticable problems. I felt that the triple clamps on my 75 250 didn't allow quick enough steering. I had a machinist put the steerer from the Penton lower triple clamp into a 74 Bultaco lower clamp allowing me to use the Pentons bearings and races. The top clamp on the Bultaco has a lip that doesn't let the fork tube slide through. The tapered rings fit on top of the fork tubes and the fork nuts draw the whole thing togeather as you tighten them up. You also have two pinch bolts on the top triple clamp making eveything very secure. This set-up made my bike soooo much better! But it's not for everyone. Email if you have questions [email protected]. Gavin

Mike Lenz

Penton fork nuts overlap the fork tubes so it should titen up ok with the tapered rings I would think.