caswell

Started by tvrc18, April 04, 2010, 07:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tvrc18

After I coated my tank I notice a few places that have a milky look to them I hope this does not turn into a problem, maybe it is the resin or something from the glass. Anyone have this happen to them? Most of it is just a clear looking coating. Rinsed it with acetone and then after 24 hours soapy water like the instructions said and rinsed real good. I then waited about 3 hours before coating letting the tank sit open out in the sun.
Terry

linglewn

I have noticed that the excess Caswell that is poured out of the tank into a small container to a significant depth results in a milky solid after it sets up. I suspect that you have some areas that are thicker than others and should not be a problem.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

tvrc18

Thanks, I did get it pretty thick, I did one application and about an hour later did a second one.
Terry

checkcrew

Terry,

i just did 2 tanks and see the same milky areas ware it is thicker,
Nelson is correct, just a little more in some places gives it that milky look,
i also had a small amount in a clear container and it dried the same color,

this stuff is great but i still want to try the POR 51 that Michael Winter is using, may even be better ?? EDIT -  { i guess i mean POR-15, must have had something to do with that stay at Area-51, - LOL -}

good luck,

regards,

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

tvrc18

I want to try that POR 15 also. Have heard good things about it on this site. I went with the Caswell because I already bought it before hearing about the POR.
Terry

dennis foley

i am getting ready to order caswell sealer, thanks for all of your info, i did contact por15 and they told me they didnt advise there product for fiberglass, they did say it should work but it wasnt intended for fiberglass thanks

454MRW

That's funny because on their website it even states it is recommended for fiberglass repairs instead of resin. I do not use the tank sealer product, only the standard POR-15 Clear paint, that may be why the confusion of use on fiberglass. It will not adhere well on plastic tanks, but from the results I have seen, I will never need to drain a fiberglass tank again! Mike
Here is a note directly from the Application Information PDF for POR-15 paint,
"CAN POR-15 BE USED WITH FIBERGLASS?
Absolutely. POR-15 is fully compatible with fiberglass and can be used to repair cracks in gelcoat. It will adhere better than polyester resin and has greater strength. Use also with fiberglass cloth to make super-strong surfaces in rusted-out areas."

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R