Penton Fiberglass ?

Started by bigdanracer, February 10, 2002, 04:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdanracer

Any experts advice on repairing and reconditioning the fiberglass gas tanks and side panels. My orange 77 MC-5 is Cracked and leaking. Match the proper colors if you have to repaint.How about a methad to properly clean the gas tank, insides. Is a gas tank sealent availible ?. How about replacement padding so it won't happen again. Need to replace the right side panel. Anyone have a spare ?.
Thanks, Dan

Posting 02/2002
Corona CA.
Age 48, maintenance mechanic, two 77 Pentons, 250,400 MC-5s. Like snow skiing, golf, riding and racing. Used to own a mountain bike manufacturing buisness, built downhill, cross country and slolam race bikes.
Posting 07/2002
Yucaipa CA.
Age 51, maintenance mechanic, two 77 Pentons, 250,400 MC-5s.

Mike Lenz

Prob better off getting a better tank.Theres one on ebay now. You can use firm weather stripping for the pads. Alan Buehner and Larry perkins have white side panels.

skipperclyde

Contact Scott Shope. [email protected]  He can restore about any tank and make it so nice you can see your reflection in it.  He is much cheeper than most shops and does superior work.

Larry Perkins has had a few tanks done by him, I'm sure he will attest to his work.

tim bowers

Just a word of warning. I ruined a completely
good tank, by thinking I could use sealer
in it. The solvent in the sealer reacted
with the resin in the glass and it came apart. Just in case.

Larry Perkins

Scott does "Great" tank work.  He can make a pretty pitiful looking tank look close to new.  He has done paint work on Hot Rods that have been in magazines.  Reasonable too.  He has access to alot of NOS tanks and can color match well.

LINDEMAN

I have repaired and sealed two fiberglass penton tanks that have worked great for five years now.The sealer I used was creem brand.It might be spelled Kreem,anyway the liner was applied after cleaning with laquer thinner.If you buy the kit it comes with a prep A liquid (to remove rust in metal tanks) and a prep B liquid (methylethyl keytone)which by the way melts plastics.Kreem is available through motorcycle shops.I have used the kit on many steel tanks with excellent results.

Dante

Lindemann,
   Are you telling me to "prep" ONLY with the lacquer thinner and SKIP the ketone?
(on a fiberglass tank)

tim bowers

I believe the MEK (mehtyl ethyl ketone)
was what did my tank in, so to speak.
Maybe just the prep is good enough. I wish
I knew that earlier. Thanks for the tip
Lindeman

DKWRACER

There is available a very good sealer from Casswell Plating, it sold thru Hughes Bultaco in NY, works far superior to any thing I have used, Tom...

Thomas Brosius

LINDEMAN

Dante,Yes all I did to prep was laquer thinner and it worked for me on the fiberglass tanks.However on steel tanks you must use the MEK prep or the sealer doesnt adhear properly.

Dante

Thanx, I'm putting a 410 Stormer together and the fuel tank has me nervous.

Edited by - dante on 02/16/2002  12:28:23 AM