Before there were handguards....

Started by SouthRider, April 04, 2010, 06:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthRider

In the late 60's Don Burgess ran into John Penton at the Stone Mountain National Enduro, and John had little wires running around each knuckle and down the fingers on both hands.

John Had just come from the Alligator Enduro - where he won the overall. "You see Burgess - those little Palmetto bushes were in the way & I just had to mow them down in order to win." Yeah John, but what are the wires for?

"Well I ended up breaking all my knuckles on the Palmetto bushes - but I still won".
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

garrettccovington

That was good!  I got a chuckle out of that one.

G

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

SouthRider

..... and it was a true story too!

When men were men, and enduros required men to win them.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

rob w

Clark, Sounds inventive, but possibly painful. ;)

This is Bill Baird's method from 1968. A bar of steel, hose clamped to the handlebars.

Bob W

Gary Roach

Quotequote:
This is Bill Baird's method from 1968. A bar of steel, hose clamped to the handlebars.

Bob W

Almost looks like the same set up that Earl Robinson had on his bike.

Gary

Gary Roach

This is one of earliest photos that I've seen of a hand guard that completely surrounded the rider's hand and attached to the end of the bar.

The rider is Scott Klamfoth from Ohio. A few years ago, I had talked to Scott about the hand guards in this photo, and he said that he and his Dad had made them.

Gary