shifting problem

Started by Mickey Sergeant, May 20, 2010, 11:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey Sergeant

Thanks for all the impute on tuning my mikuni carb.Went up 2 sizes bigger on my needle jet.Runs great now.Now i'm down to my last problem.Had the trany perfessionaly done.Wont shift from 1st to 2nd,gets caught in false nutrals.Once its in 2nd shifts great in upper gears.Haven't touched it yet.I know 1st gear was replaced.Don't think anything else was.All sugestions welcome.

Mickey Sergeant
74 Berkshire

Larry Perkins

A Sachs motor not shifting properly?  Say it ain't so.:D  

Probably not adjusted right.  On another note, that shift is the toughest one for those trannies and I like to gear it low enough that I can start in second gear and never really have to use first.  Properly adjusted it should do the shift decent though.

Larry P

Mickey Sergeant

1st gear is low.I usually dont use 1st ether.Going from nutral to 2nd is hard to find.Do I want to adjust from the selector arm?

Larry Perkins

On adjusting you need to talk to Doug Wilford, Ron Carbaugh, or Tom Flores but it is hard to explain and easier to show.

Larry P

joe novak

Hello,  We need to know which engine (I assume a Sachs) you have.  Is it the cast iron cylinder (early A 5 spd.), Aluminum cylinder (later A 5 spd.), rare Aluminum cylinder (A 6 spd.), or later model Aluminum cylinder (B 6 spd.).  The method of trans adjustment depends upon which type of engine you have.   So it does shift from 1 to 2, but not well, or it gets caught in those false neutrals....   The "search" has lots of info on Sachs shifting.   joe

Mickey Sergeant

It's a B-6sp.Doug rebuilt for me last winter.Just now getting it running.Called him today,doesn't remember working on tranny.From the paper work he replaced 1st gear.Said hair spring on the selector assy wasn't in place.fixed.Shimed as needed.Motor did have a lot of internal rust originally.Had been in a barn for 30 yrs.LG gave me a couple of things to check and try tomorrow.At first I thought it was me not getting a good shift.but have ruled that out.

Mickey Sergeant

firstturn

May sound crazy, but what is the length of your shifter and what size boot you wear(?) mayb be the problem.  I have to shorten my shift lever and I am a 9 to 10 size boot.  Believe me I have had this happen to people more often than you will think.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Mickey Sergeant

I WEAR A SIZE 9 BOOT.hAVE bEEN EXPERIMENTING WITH DIFFERENT HIGHTS ON MY LEVER.THINK I FOUND A SETTING THAT SEEMS TO WORK BETTER.I WILL KNOW TOMORROW,GOING TO A RACE IN GOLDENDALE WASHINGTON.I RACED IN THE 80'S WHERE SPEED SHIFTING WAS THE NORM.aLSO I BROKE MY LEG 20 YEARS AGO COMPOUND FRACTURE RIGHT ABOVE MY ANKLE.FOOT DOESNT WORK AS GOOD AS IT USE TO.THATS NOT HELPING THE CAUSE!

MICKEY SERGEANT

firstturn

Mickey,
  I also worry about the length of the shifter?  Also with a break like that will possible hinder a positive shift.  Just letting you know what I have seen over the years.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

brian kirby

Since your bottom end was just shimmed by Mr Wilford I would put my money on a combination of your old injury and either a too long, too short or wrong height shifter. Even on "normal" bikes that 1-2 shift is trouble because of neutral. Also, every Sachs seems to have its own idiosyncrasies as far as which false neutral it wants to go into. My 100 most often over shifts 3rd into the neutral between 3-4 but only when shifting up from 2nd to 3rd, it never undershifts going from 3rd to 4th. It has never once gone into a neutral on a downshift, yet I've ridden some Sachs that most often get a false neutral on a downshift. Its very odd. Each Sachs I have ridden has its own personality you have to tune your brain to adjust to get clean shifts.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian