1979 and later rim offset

Started by sachsmx, May 21, 2010, 01:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sachsmx

Does anyone happen to know or can someone get me a quick measurement for the front rim offset (preferrably from the right side opposite the brake) for a 1980 KTM 420? This is probably the same for all of the conical hubbed front wheels from 1979 to 1983. I measured and recorded the value before tearing down the wheel but have lost the measurement. :(
Fortunately I have lots of pics to get the spoke pattern correct. Too bad I didn't think to take a picture of the offset measurement. New SS spokes arrived this week [:p]

linglewn

If you need an answer before you get a reply, just assemble the hub on the forks with the correct spacers and measure the offset with the rim centered. I could tell you for a 74 or 73, but I don't have a newer model.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

sachsmx

Thanks. I hadn't thought of that, but it should be easy enough to do once I get the forks reassembled, which is next on my list anyway.

garrettccovington

I just measured my 1979 ktm 250 with a "straight" piece of wood and a tape measure. It looks to be around 3/4's of a inch.  I rested the "straight" edge on the top and bottom, right side of the hub and used the tape measure to measure the distance to the top of the rim.  Next Tuesday, I can have a real machinist straight edge and calipers to get a better measurement.  This might get you close to try linglewn's method.

G,

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250