Hints on instaltion of Swing Arm needle bearings

Started by john durrill, January 28, 2002, 04:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john durrill

We were able to find the bearings and a kind POG member had a pivot tube for the swing arm in our 75,  175 Jackpine.
After some real creative enginering we were able to remove the old rusted bearings.
 NOw my question is does anyone have some helpfull hints on the installation of said bearings? As thin as the outside of the bearings are , would bet i get only one shot at it.
 John & Peter

DKWRACER

John this is a good one!!!! Can you not use the axle as a pilot and then use a tube driver hand fashioned which extends beyond the axle, the intent is to drive the bearing in at a square angle, perhaps some heat from a localized source to expand the swingarm itself, just thinking here, Good luck, Tom...

Thomas Brosius

Cathump

I work on large diesel enginges onboard ship, and we keep our bearings in a freezer, to make them contract, therefore being a little easier to install.

Placing the swingarm in the oven for an hour or so at 275-300 degrees will also help.

I may be on my first Penton, but I have been working on bikes since 1972. Hope this helps.

Rick Terry

bigdanracer

So John what was your method to remove the swingarm bearings.
Im getting pretty frustrated.
Help !
Thanks, Dan.
(PS) I got HK2030 as replacements. King Bearings.

Posting 02/2002
Corona CA.
Age 48, maintenance mechanic, two 77 Pentons, 250,400 MC-5s. Like snow skiing, golf, riding and racing. Used to own a mountain bike manufacturing buisness, built downhill, cross country and slolam race bikes.
Posting 07/2002
Yucaipa CA.
Age 51, maintenance mechanic, two 77 Pentons, 250,400 MC-5s.

jj

I huffed and I puffed last week to no avail. Then I took mine to a good machine shop, 3 days & $25 later, I was in busines. It appears they they used a bit of heat.

John, What bearings and source did you use? did you choose an& $25klkI tried my best last week  , but I eneded

John Slivka
John J Slivka

john durrill

Dan,
we used two hardend washers. ground the od
down till grabed the lips of the needle bearings. at 90 degrees we ground two flats that would let us turn the washer and insert it in the bearing, when they were in we rotated them and pushed them down till the grabed the needle bearing. then used a press  and a rod to push the old bearing out. one came out whole ( the unrusted one ) the other left the outer race still in side.
we had to a use a small chisle made from a center punch to cut the old outer race  in three places . then used the punch to knock what was left away from the sides and remove it. Used a dremel tool with a small sanding drum to clean up the burrs the chisle made.
to install the new ones we use a piece of 3/8 inch thread all and some washers. a nut on both ends and held one nut while we turned the other. Used the inner swing arm tube to center everything. it worked fine. might have been able to use the threadall
 instead of the press to remove them. One was so badly rusted i just didnt want to take a chance is all.
if i can help just drop me a line. my e-mail is listed and if you have Yahoo we can talk rather than type.
John & Peter

john durrill

We used
Brocaw Bearing & Drive , Inc,
708 Washington Ave
West Plains , MO 65775
Ph # 417-257-7566
John & Peter

mikey

Quotequote:
I have never done a penton swing arm but others I have done I use a long threaded bolt and some heavy washers(axle washers work good) and get the bearings started and then just crank the nut on the rod and let the compression do the work..this way you can get it square, apply equal pressure, and not whack away and ruin anything..for what its worth!

We were able to find the bearings and a kind POG member had a pivot tube for the swing arm in our 75,  175 Jackpine.
After some real creative enginering we were able to remove the old rusted bearings.
 NOw my question is does anyone have some helpfull hints on the installation of said bearings? As thin as the outside of the bearings are , would bet i get only one shot at it.
 John & Peter

mikey

Quotequote:
PS: another trick I use on the stuck in races is take an air die grinder or dremel and grind CAREFULLY into one spot of the race and make a groove in it..then lightly smack it..the grove weakens it and it will crack and pop out every time!

John & Peter