Motorcycle Shipping

Started by garrettccovington, May 24, 2010, 11:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garrettccovington

I searched the message board on Shipping Motorcycles and found postings about Forward Air which looked pretty neat.  My problem is I need to ship little SL70's, XL70's and XL75's to Hawaii.  Any recomondations.  I hate to tear the bikes down and ship them piece by piece.

g

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

firstturn

You might try these people, but it sounds like you have a lot of bikes which is a problem.

http://www.motorcycleshippers.com/s_ha_crated.htm

If you crate the bikes (one crate) just google shipping to Hawaii and you can interline with a carrier to LA area which is where I believe the cheapest shipping to Hawaii is located.  I hope this helps.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

marsattacks

I have never shipped to HI. but Uship.com has been far better than forward air, which I used once.  Unfortunately I'm not sure any of the Uship guys do that.  A word to the wise for FA -- do not use their small motorcycle container.  I was about to have an outstanding Jackpiner shipped that way when the seller (great guy) said he'd refuse to let the bike be shipped in a flexible plastic container, which FA did not disclose was the "crate" they call a "small motorcycle crate."  

I know this is a bit weird but you might check with some of the yacht brokers in the sailing spots like San Diego.  Uship operates by having lots of little guys decide to throw an extra piece on board when they have spare capacity, although some make a living at it.  Some of the big private yachts or even fishing vessels can easily handle a few bikes.  It would be free money to them (basically) if they have an empty boat charter over to HI.   Again, it would take some leg work but might be worth it for you.  Good luck!

Mars Attacks!

Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

firstturn

You might try these people, but it sounds like you have a lot of bikes which is a problem.

http://www.motorcycleshippers.com/s_ha_crated.htm

If you crate the bikes (one crate) just google shipping to Hawaii and you can interline with a carrier to LA area which is where I believe the cheapest shipping to Hawaii is located.  I hope this helps.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

marsattacks

I have never shipped to HI. but Uship.com has been far better than forward air, which I used once.  Unfortunately I'm not sure any of the Uship guys do that.  A word to the wise for FA -- do not use their small motorcycle container.  I was about to have an outstanding Jackpiner shipped that way when the seller (great guy) said he'd refuse to let the bike be shipped in a flexible plastic container, which FA did not disclose was the "crate" they call a "small motorcycle crate."  

I know this is a bit weird but you might check with some of the yacht brokers in the sailing spots like San Diego.  Uship operates by having lots of little guys decide to throw an extra piece on board when they have spare capacity, although some make a living at it.  Some of the big private yachts or even fishing vessels can easily handle a few bikes.  It would be free money to them (basically) if they have an empty boat charter over to HI.   Again, it would take some leg work but might be worth it for you.  Good luck!

Mars Attacks!

Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

garrettccovington

Thanks Folks for the info.  The Guy in HI, Is a mini-trail, nut,  like we are Penton nuts.    He has been buying all the mini-trails up in CA and I was shocked at the shipping charges he is willing to pay.  I almost am wondering if this is a scam so have been treading lighty.

G

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

David Laite

I have had some motorcycles up on eBay recently and a buyer from France needed a quote. I called Mearsk who wanted phone numbers for shipping since it was truck-ship-truck again in France so I called Air France Cargo in Boston, who recently merged with KLM cargo. The quote was $1.30/lb, plus $40 or so for the paperwork. Cheaper than a one-way ticket in coach.

1973 Penton Six Day
1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1984 Husqvarna 400WR
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R
1973 Penton Six Day
1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1984 Husqvarna 400WR
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R

garrettccovington

Thanks for the info.
  I've never sold a bike in my life.  I have always given them away.  Never have used craigslist and have bought a few things on e-bay.  The best things I have bought is from fellow POGer's or the supplier's they list.  ALWAYS straight up. EVEN, when I made the mistake.  Sorry Ron and thanks for understanding.  anyways  

I'm amazed at all the crud I get from craigslist.

Yea, It looks like this guy from Hawaii, might be a scam.  I never  received any money from Pay-pal.  He is supposed to call me back Sunday and tell me what he wants to do instead.  Its his dime.

G

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250