Metal Plating/resto

Started by wfopete, May 26, 2010, 06:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfopete

Does anyone know of some good sources for getting various hardware pieces restored by replating (chain adj, axles, nuts/bolts)?

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Larry Perkins

There is a place on eBay that does it but I have no experience with them.  I think it is $70-$90 for all the hardware on a bike.  Anybody ever use this guy?  I am curious on this one too.  Good question Pete!

Larry P

linglewn

Look for a commercial plating company that does zinc plating. The one that I use in East Tennessee is called ProTech. What you want is clear zinc plating, and they normally charge by the pound. The last batch I had done was $83 for a minimum of 20 pounds. That will cover everything you need on a Penton, including nuts, bolts, and washers. I have no experience with the ebay guy that Larry mentioned.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

Steve Minor

I'm sure Kip Kern has a source...maybe he'll reply soon.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

sachsmx

Matt Hilgenburg at Speed and Sport in CA. He has good quality, fair prices and quick turn around. Pricing depends on the amount of prep work required and the desired outcome. If you just want someone to strip and dip, then the price will be cheap, but don't expect a mirror finish. Quality replating requires buffing/polishing of the part before plating so that imperfections in the base metal are not magnified after the plating process.
I just had my 420 kick start lever rechromed by Matt for $40. A lot of parts including chain adjusters, brake cable stays, foot pegs, etc ran $96 and all parts have a mirror finish.[:p]

Kip Kern

I get my Zinc done here locally.  It usually runs $40 a load if you have it cleaned/blasted and ready to go.  My friend who plates indicates "Not responsible for lost or stolen parts" on his factory entrance and all small business is carry in.  Otherwise, he is outstanding at Zinc work!  If I can help, mail it to me and I can get her done!

tomale

A buddy of mine bought a little Zinc plating kit from Harbor freight, he mostly does the heads on bolts and such. It works pretty well... I am sure it needs to be clean, but from the bikes he has rebuilt, they look pretty nice to me... I have been thinking of doing the same thing too... bigger stuff would have to be commercially done. but little stuff would work pretty well... just a thought...

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W