Doug Wilford, can you help me?

Started by Jerry Chafton, June 16, 2010, 11:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

Jerry,
  I have lost your email address?  Please send me an email if you still have my card.  Thanks.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Ron

Hi Jerry,
Sorry your having so much difficulty.
Yes, the stops could be a problem if they are preventing you from making a full shift.
The stops are there to prevent damage to the shift mechanism if the bike is laid down and the shifter gets jammed. Not to limit the movement of the shift mechanism.
The stops are adjusted again, with the shifter in the full up or down positions in 1st and 6th gears.
I adjust them with a business card between the stops and the shift paw.
This will take three hands and usually several tries (the stops move when you tighten them), but as you pull the card out and are holding the pedal up or down, check to make sure the shift fork still has some free play in the selector rod.
It's much easier to describe than it is to do and it's much easier on the bench than on the floor (I'm getting to old for this) LOL.
I apologize for not mentioning the adjusting tool Ernie reffered to, I assumed you have one. You'll go nuts trying to adjust it without one.
Remember, your chaning the travel in both directions when you adjust the eccentric bolt in the shift arm. You have to split the difference.
Good luck, Ron

Jerry Chafton

Hey firstturn.....
It's [email protected]
I'm off the Penton project for now, trying to finish up a honey do landscape project before returning to the Penton.