Need shifting quadrant (hook/claw) for KTM

Started by PaulEricksen, June 25, 2010, 01:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulEricksen

Does anyone have, or know of anyone who might have, a shifting quadrant (hook/claw)for a KTM.

I think it is the same part for all size engines (mine happens to be a 78 400 MC5).

Without it I will be out of action.  The rest of the bike is in such great condition I can't imagine not getting it back together.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I wouldn't have gotten this far without all your input.

with fingers crossed

Paul E

Keith May

Paul,
I just replaced one in a 250 motor (I think they are the same part). Mine had a bent shaft from a spill but the quadrant looked pretty good. I'm going out of town for a week or so on vacation in just a few hours and haven't packed yet. As you can guess I'm running behind. If you haven't had any luck in finding one by then, get back with me. I'll dig it out of the garage and verify its condition. You're welcome to it.
Keith

Kip Kern

Paul, Drop me a line at [email protected] with your address, I have a spare.  If you do find one prior to contacting me though, remember the measurement between the fingers of the actuator cannot be greater than 54.8mm.  You can bend them back slightly but be very careful.  If the measurement exceeds 54.8, (NOS is around 53.5),it will have shifting problems.  Also, while you have your 3 shifting forks out, check them with a machinist square for trueness, as if bent, they will cause trouble too!

Kip Kern

PaulEricksen

Thanks Kip,

It arrived yesterday.  I can't thank you enough!  I'll be ordering the drum bushing and gaskets from Al B. so I can button this thing back up very soon.

I hope I can return the favor someday.

Thanks again,

Paul E

rejuvenated 78 KTM 400 MC5