Engine Oil Recommendations?

Started by Weathermann, February 01, 2002, 12:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weathermann

My first of likely many posts. I am getting back into the sport after a time away and am starting to resurrect several of my bikes. I have a '76 Penton 250 about ready to go and would like input on what engine oils are currently highly regarded. I used mostly Castrol R in the past but I expect that with the advances in 2-stroke synthetic oils in the last several years, there may be better choices now. What are members using now for their air-cooled 2-stroke Pentons? What fuel/oil ratios are recommended with those oils? Do any of the oils smell as good as Castrol R (forgive me but as Dirt Bike magazine once said, it smells beautiful).

What oils are recommended for the gearbox?

Thanks much.

Weathermann

Larry Perkins

Many different opinions on this one.  

This is how we do it now and back in "The Day" for our Pentons.  Spectro Concentrate at 32:1 in good octane gas of some sort and Spectro 80wt in the gearbox.  I raced the MO State VMX Series, the Midwest Regional Series, the National Post-Vintage MX Series, and the National Cross-Country Series last year and Jesse raced the MO State VMX, and the National Cross-Country Series and we suffered NO engine or transmission failures.  There may be better more "Modern" oils but this one has stood the test of time and I think like the bikes -"Built For Champions."

Doug Wilford

Like Larry said; "Built for Champions"  Spectro oils were so far ahead of the times in the late 60s and 70s' that there are still no oils on the market that compare, or I should say they are still trying to catch up.  Although 32:1 will work it is recomended to use a mix of 50:1 or 60:1. Fill up your 5 gal can and pour in a bottle. I use it that way in everything I own that is 2 cycle, chain saws, weed eater, and snow blower etc.

Chris Brown

I'm with Doug on this one.
I run Golden Spectro, 12oz bottle in 5 gallons, of 4/1 premium pump to race gas (110 octane)and they run great, no wear, no failures, no knocks.
Spectro 80 or 85 wt gear box oil for the tranny.
Chris Brown

Edited by - chris brown on 02/04/2002  10:15:50 PM

tlanders

I'm doing exactly the same as Chris Brown except I'm using ATF (Decron III?) in the gearbox. If you change your gearbox oil after every weekend, it doesn't hurt as much at $2/quart instead of $6 to $8/quart. Teddy Landers

Weathermann

Thank you all. As recommended, I have stocked up on enough Spectro to keep me running for 6 months, or 3 if I'm lucky.

Weathermann