Making tank white again

Started by dirtbike, August 26, 2010, 02:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtbike

This is how I have solved the problem with making the tank white again and having the decals stick.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Paint-your-motorcycle-plastic-tank-and-make-decals/

Ron

It looks like a lot of work but in the end it sure does look good!
Nice job!
Ron

Mike Hufnagel

Definatly nice job!  I took the easy way out though, found a "skin" from DC plastics at Mud-Ohio.
\\\'12 Husaberg TE300
74 Penton Wassels
74 Yamaha TY 250
77 Yamaha TY 175
74 Jackpiner w/ 250 eng.
82 KTM GS250II (import)
77 Yamaha RD 400 Daytona Café replica
81 Ktm mx 495
12 Ktm RC8R
04 Honda xr 100
06 KTM 950 Adv.

dirtbike

Almost finished now! My replica of a 1979 400 MC is close to done. Hopefully I will be able to start her up the next weekend.

There are pictures of everything here: http://tinyurl.com/ktm400mc

garrettccovington

Dirtbike
Thanks for the info,  I think you sent me this on facebook after I commented on how good Chris McQ's tank looked and I promply lost it.

Bike looks fantastic.

G

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

Bill Campbell

Dirt Bike,
Looks better than my 400!The man hours must have been plenty. Can you tell me about the shocks which I guess are about 16 inch Ohlins. I have a similar pair but I thought they were way too long making the bike too tall. Any specs would be greatly appreciated.If you can remember could you let me know your carburetor specs as well.

Cheers Bill

dirtbike

Garrett, thank you. Bill, frankly I don't know all that much except that the bike came with a pair of Öhlins where some kid had removed the reservoirs and they where trash. I was able to rescue the shafts and shim stacks and built a a pair from my maico leftovers with new o-rings and seal head. 16" = 390mm between the eyes but these are actually closer to 400mm. The bike stand quite even on the ground and Isn't to tall. It's just the angle af the swingarm that worries me some.

I will try it on the track and I might fit a spacer inside bringing it down to 16" if It doesn't feel good. I just rebuilt a pair for a friend for a 495 -81. And there I found a spacer that looked to be fitted from the factory and gave it the right length.

As for the carb, haven't started it yet but I will give it a shot with a stock bing and stock jetting, I dont remember right now but 45 * 185 something. If it doesn't work out fine, I will go for a Mikuni Husky 390 carb instead.

Bill Campbell