Catalina Island Grand Prix

Started by Paul Danik, September 11, 2010, 04:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

I have always had quite an interest in this fabled event and now apparently it is returning. The links on the bottom of the homepage, assessed by the link below, contain some pretty interesting reading.  

Possibly some of you might enjoy it as I did.   I sure would enjoy being on the Island for this event.

A number of years back I had the pleasure of meeting a gentleman at an Ohio Valley BSA event who rode the Catalina Island Grand Prix numerous times on a BSA, his name was Jim Cameron, but most folks knew him as Smiley.  Jim passed away in the Long Beach, CA area in April, maybe some of you west coast boys knew Jim. I know I just couldn't get enough of his stories of racing on the Island, the Big Bear Run and other fabled events of days gone by.

http://www.thecatalinagrandprix.com/Home_Page.html

Paul

Big Mac

Classic class = '75-'79 and Evo = '80-'85 with link and water pumper.
A '79 420 MC80 will be the Classic bomb.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

socalmx

I have been following this from the AMA D37 website. It seems that the entry fee is going to be $250 which is pretty steep for a short race. I think I'll pass on this one.

sixdazed

Same day as bitd henderson race-aw shucks...
                                               Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

Lew Mayer

But that $250 includes shipping for your bike. Sounds like too good a deal. What am I doing Dec.5th?

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

G Ellis

Lew if you come by my house, I will go with you. :D:D

Paul Danik

Lew,

You will be going past my place on your way to Gary's, I travel light and won't require any special attention :)

Gary,

Your good friend and Penton mentor called the other evening and we talked Catalina Island history for awhile, seems he also has quite an interest in that historic event. He has some video from days gone by from a couple of the Island events that he is sending my way, I am looking forward to viewing it. I am sure if he is standing with you when Lew shows up Lew will invite him also :)

Paul

Package in transent, Thursday "Key time", L8er

Paul Danik

Dave,

Yes, the package did make it to Mars safely, it did however take me a day to figure out how to properly unwrap it :) Excellent packaging..

I have yet to watch the video, hopefully tonight.

Shoot me an email if you would with the instructions for the framed item, I think I know what you want done but I would like to confirm.  [email protected]  

I will take the photos of Moiseev to the POG meeting to show the guys, I hadn't seen these before.  The one picture that shows a close up of the clutch cover shows very clearly the indented area that had PENTON and KTM cast into it in a picture of an early proto model.

Thank you very much.
Paul