Penton 100 vs CZ 125

Started by brian kirby, November 15, 2010, 04:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

Nelson,
  I am glad you worked for our side on the Space Program.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Lloyd Boland

Nelson, if I understand correctly, if I rode a larger displacement bike that lets say put out 40hp, then to compensate for a 10 pound heavier rider you would need 2.5% of 40hp, or 1 horsepower more to be equal, give-or-take.  So for 20 pound 2hp, 30 pounds you would need 3hp, etc? I know there are many variables, traction, coefficient of drag, wind velocity, drafting, etc, but for us lay people, a close ballpack figure is about 1/2hp for every 10 pounds on a 20hp motor, and 1hp for every 10 pounds on a 40hp motor.  Did I do the math correctly, or am I just barking up the wrong tree?

linglewn

Lloyd,
Your scenario would be correct if you assume that the mass (weight) of the 40 HP bike/rider is the same as the 19 HP combination, and the acceleration would be more than twice as great.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

Larry Perkins

But I am curious how fast the blood loss is of a frog on a train travelling to Chicago at 42.7 mph with Red Cross blood donations at an all-time low.:D

Holy Cow!  Just ride it.  If it goes too slow hold it open more.  If it is still too slow get out the dremel.  If it is still too slow do the push the plate away exercise.

Most races are lost from not cranking the throttle enough than pounds even on a 100.  If you are WFO all the time or on the brakes hard when not and still losing then the academics of power to weight ratio plays out.  Until then GAS IT there are no magic fixes.

Larry P

rob w

I don't care what anyone says, that is just about the saddest excuse for a motocross track I've ever seen. [xx(][:0][B)][8D]:D

brian kirby

Dont get me started on the horrible Barber "motocross" track. Its not a track, its a dirt parking lot. The first two years we were over on the other side of the facility in a grass parking lot which actually was not that bad, the first year we moved to the current location (08) they promised "next year we will have the 'worlds best vintage track'". Its an absolute joke, and it proves Barber only cares about the road racing to put us on this ridiculous track. Every year I swear to Ernie that I wont come back again, but for some reason I always end up going.

Brian
Brian

tomale

The track does look really flat but it might just work well for the small bikes,, like my buddy would say, thats a 125 track...It would be more about the rider than the bike. good job brian. I am not one for banging bars either but you never know what can happen. A few years ago I was racing on a track that had these ponds around the outside of the track, they were there to allow water to run off the track, It worked good too but coming out of the second corner we were all bunch up and I headed for a hole in the crowd the thing is another rider thought the same thing and we ended up banging bars,, We are good friends now and to this day he kids me about being the only rider who ever put him into the pond... all in good humor....too this day though he will also tell you that he would rather race with me than anyone else and we often pit and race together... good times and that is what this is all about.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Ernie Phillips

Equal riders on equal bikes --- big boy looses every time[V].

Big boys on small bikes that pull hole shots and win wire-to-wire are either riding a hand grenade, cheating or really exceptional riders ... sometimes all of the above:D  

The 100cc classes were pretty puny this year.  I hope the 100cc (120cc 4stk) class gets reinvigorated -- I'm anxious to see more of those hot California Hondas[:p].  And, of course, we need more Rats.  Do the Hodaka's only show up for the ISDT-RR?;)  Where have all the Berkshire races gone?

Brian Kirby will tell you all (and his results prove it), his SoCal Berkshire is the best 100cc machine on the AHRMA circuit -VMX,CC, ISDT.  It's fast, it handles, it's reliable, it s.i.ts (h f).  Well, a gear is skipped every now and then.  Nothing's perfect.  It helps that he is a flyweight of only 140 and not jumbo 200 lb.[8D]

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Larry Perkins

Best 100 on the circuit?  Hope to drag race it on starts at AHRMA MX next season then with the one in my garage and my fat self.[8D]

Larry P

Ernie Phillips

So you have a rocketship 100?  Better add boosters if you want to hang with SoCal Berkshire.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

brian kirby

My bike is surely not the fastest nor the most peak HP of any Sachs 100, but the thing that makes it so fast in CC and over a lap of MX is it has a very wide and usable spread of power from low-mid and up. It does not wail on the top like I expected, but its actually pretty user friendly and flexible.

Brian
Brian

454MRW

I've seen Larrys "weapon of class Destruction"! It practically rolled its' self up onto the trailer...and it didn't even have an engine at the time! Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
75 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
74 CR250M 07 CR125R & CR150R
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

joe novak

The 100 Sachs engine has different engine characteristics due to it's design.  As a stock engine, it has a 54mm stroke, and a 48mm bore.  Engines with small bores and a longer stroke have a different power band than those with a different combination.  Many two strokes tend to have a bore and a stroke which are very close ie. 54mm bore x 54mm stroke.  I think this is called "square".  This type of engine tends to rev a bit quicker than those with longer strokes.  I once rode a Suzuki RM which had a larger bore than it's stroke.  It was the quickest revving bike I had ever ridden.   Joe