Spark Arrestor Screen

Started by Scott Summey, June 22, 2016, 07:17:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Summey

Searched and read quite a few posts on spark arrestors and wondering if anyone has adapted a screen into their stock exhaust or changed out the end for a can type spark arrestor. Bike is a 74 Jackpiner. Thanks.

Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida

Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida
Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida

JP Morgen

I am sure the stock exhaust end would qualify as a spark arrestor, but the problem is it isn't "approved" and stamped. I am sure swapping out the end piece with an approved arrestor would work fine.

Scott Summey

JP,

Thanks for the response. Just wondering what other riders are doing as I would like to try a vintage HS or Enduro this fall and spark arrestors are required for most all events.

Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida
Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida

brian kirby

As long as it is not an AMA National you will be fine. Even at the Dalton Mass ISDT Reunion Ride they had dire warnings about sound limits, spark arrestors and legit registrations with tags. Once we got there and did tech, unless you had a bike with a stinger pipe and no silencer at all, they just waved the sound meter near you and said "You passed". They never even checked for a spark arrestor.

But, JP is correct, if you do enter an event that requires a USFS approved spark arrestor, it will not matter if the stock exhaust actually functions as a SA, it must have the USFS approved stamp. I would think finding one of the now out of production Cobra Sparky clamp on SAs would be the easiest way to go.

Brian
Brian