Petcock install Windsor tank

Started by Larry Perkins, November 21, 2010, 11:10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Perkins

Any trick to getting the petcocks on a Windsor tank.  I am trying to put a NOS one on the 1976 GS125 we are going to race the last Best In The Desert race with and for the life of me can not get the petcocks in.  It is the aluminum kind that go in a rubber donut.  I am putting the rubber in the hole first and then trying to put in the petcock.  It will go part way but no matter how hard I pull, twist, or tap it only goes part way down.  Ideas or tricks?

Larry P

firstturn

Put the rubber donut and petcock in the freezer.  Next use Plenty of oil and a very small screw driver.  Take your time and most of all do not drive the screw driver in your thumb.....spoken from experience.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by firstturn

Put the rubber donut and petcock in the freezer.  Next use Plenty of oil and a very small screw driver.  Take your time and most of all do not drive the screw driver in your thumb.....spoken from experience.

Ron Carbaugh

I do it without the freezer.
Just put the rubber into the hole first,then a touch of VASELINE onto the petcockshaft(like any shaft) and pop it in...[}:)][}:)][}:)]

Larry Perkins

Thanks Ron & Speedy!  They are in.  Now I have to fix a stuck float and I should hear Wing Ding Ding.

Larry P