'72 Jackpiner Front Wheel Bearing

Started by Gary Brinton, February 28, 2002, 09:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Brinton

What's the best way to put in the front wheel bearing on the brake side of the wheel?  I'm attempting to put in the bearing but am meeting some resistance and don't want to mess up the wheel.  The bearing slides on the axle shaft easily but the OD only goes into the hub part way before getting difficult.

Thanks
Gary

Tom Gougeon

If it's any consolation, I'm having the same problem with my '74 250 front wheel. The new bearing is the same size, and so on. I need to push it in another 2mm so the speedo drive  will engage properly and the nut will thread on as far as it was before. There must be some Penton secret that hopefully someone will share...?

Doug Wilford

Hey,Not a secret. lets' do the right side first, there is a snap ring almost in the center, then the bearing (check to see the short end of the spacer tube fits into this bearing)now a dust shield, a small spacer 35X 1.5mm thick,and then the other snap ring, seal and bushing, right side is done.  Shoulder the spacer into that right bearing (short end)and then install the left bearing, spacer, dust shield, thicker spacer.   That should do it.

mikey

when ever I put in a wheel bearing I freeze the bearing for about an hour or so and then take a propane torch and gently heat the entire hub area slowly..then the bearing will literally drop in with no resistance..just let it sit and cool ..if you flip it over while still hot the bearing will fall out..for what its worth!

Tom Gougeon

Thanx Doug,

Mine pratically put itself together after I  put the small spacer on the correct side of the bearing. Is the tapered nut which holds the speedo drive on the axle tube supposed to tighten down all the way? If I do that, then the speedo drive can't float.