Not Penton, but kinda related

Started by brian kirby, December 29, 2010, 02:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooclose racing

Ohh...you've touched a soft spot in my "collective" heart, Brian. From 1981-84, I raced hare scrambles in Ohio and Southern Michigan. Most of this effort was done on an IT175, but I fantasized about the small bore Husky during this time.  Fantasy became reality when I picked up the 83 WR125 (White Lightning!).  As I recall, I actually went with the WR spec because it had shorter suspension (10" vs. 12" of the XC and CR).  Mine came with Betors, but the XC did show up with Ohlins in 1983 - there was just no way those orange Konis were going to be a color match for all that white, yellow, and blue paint and plastic that the bike was suddenly adorned with.

But I didn't stop there.  Maybe it was for the reasons described above by Southrider, but I struggled with the stock 125 power - at least relative to what I was used to from the IT.  Figuring might makes right, after one race and maybe a couple of trail rides, I picked up the phone and ordered the 175 kit from MCC in Illinois.  That setup seemed to work much better for me - I think it's worth mentioning  - this bike needed the extra power.  The Husky experts can correct me, but there was nothing "downsized" about the Husky chassis just because it was a 1-2-5. It was big, and probably kinda heavy for a "tiddler".  Also mounted a screaming yellow "safety" seat and somehow got my hands on the shorter WR Ohlins, but paid dearly as I recall.

Enjoyed the 175 power much more.  Started clicking better with the bike and I think got back up to the speed I was racing the IT (I could usually finish on the podium in B 200 with the Blue Boy).  But, as fondly as I look back on this Husky, I never achieved the results that I did on the (smaller) Yamaha.  I think part of this was attributable to some professional (lifestyle) changes that greatly reduced my race weekend opportunities for a while.  I showed up at a nuke construction/startup site (Fermi 2 in Michigan) and was put on 6 12's for almost a year.  I was just cooked (wealthy, but cooked).

But part of it may have been the "bigger" bike attributes of these particular Huskies.  

But YOU are Brian Kirby.  A guy who has looked a Penton 400 in the face and laughed.  From on top of a milk crate admittedly.  

Have fun with the project, BK.  Happy New Years and thank YOU for your POG advice and racing adventures for 2010.  Great stuff.