Jackpiner brake light

Started by sbolly, March 22, 2002, 12:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbolly

I have a '72 Jackpiner with a single tail light. To get the bike inspected in New York State it needs a brake light also. Has anyone done a modification to include both a tail light and brake light? Will the electrical system handle both? Where is the best place to install a brake light switch? Thanks for any advice.

Doug Wilford

You have a single tail light but it should have a dual element bulb and two wires running to it.  There is a wire that can be used for the brake light.   The Blue and black are for the coil DO NOT USE.   Yellow for headlight. White for tail light.  Green for stop light.    I suggest you find a motorcycle mechanic to hook it all together for you.  Take him this information it is a 6V system.

sbolly

Thanks for the information, Doug.

Dwight Rudder

Here is a trick that we used when I rode for Suzuki. Go to radio shack and pick up a resistor ( I used one of the ceramic ones ) and install it into the hot wire going to the single filment bulb. This dims the light slightly.
Then run the brake light switch wires to each side of the resistor which creates a bypass around the resistor allowing it to brighten to full brightness again.
Presto, you have a brake light.
Dwight

7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.