front brake cable on 74 250

Started by sdm, December 24, 2010, 12:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdm

I have been working on my getting my 74 250 HS/ GS (I believe) going and have some questions on the front brake cable. I got a new Terry cable for this application and it seems to be about 7 or 8" too long. Funny thing is it is the same length as the old cable that was on the bike when I got it. When it is all hooked up and in place it really hangs out the left side of the fork if routed that direction and when the forks are compressed it bows out quite a bit. I was thinking of having the cable cut to a shorter length and re-routing it all in front of the number plate area and securing it at the fork leg. Is this a common issue with this bike or could I have a cable that is just too long? The cable housing is 44 1/2" Long.
Anyhow Merry Christmas everyone !
thanks for any help or thoughts
Sam

454MRW

Even on the front cover of the February, 1974 Instructions for the Penton 175cc & 250cc Sports Cycle, the cable bows outward quite a bit under front end compression. The cable is routed up the fork leg on the MX version and across the front of the numberplate through the guide loop on the numberplate and across to the lever perch. With the forks extended it makes a gradual curve toward the perch without an excessive arch in the cable. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
75 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
74 CR250M 07 CR125R & CR150R
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

sdm

Thanks Mike
I think I am going to shorten this cable and re-route. It originally went behind the fork leg and between the top and lower triple clamp and then to the brake lever, but even at that it seems still too long and bows out.
Sam

gooddirt

Sounds like your cable might[?] be for the longer forked later bikes. LG

Knute

Hi Sam,

I checked the cables on our bikes and they are all roughly 44"...and I would highly recommend keeping yours that length.  I've attached a picture so you can see the routing I use.  Basically, the cable starts behind the left fork, goes up through the hole in the fork wiper, through a Husqvarna guide that I located above the bottom triple clamp, and then forms a nice arc above the forks and upper triple clamp.  With this routing, even when the forks are at full extension, the cable can't get snagged or tangled on any other components.  The cable is also tucked in neatly so it can't get snagged by trees or brush either.  Hope this helps.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp54/Knute63/Penton255-6.jpg

Kent

TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings
Dennis & Cory Buttrick
TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings

sdm

Thanks Kent
Your application looks great and I may go that way. I have seen some that route in front of the number plate and have a keeper or guide that attaches to the number plate but I may try to stay with the stock cable length.

LG I was wondering if I had a cable for a longer travel forked bike too but I guess it is what is suppose to be on here. It is hard to figure out sometimes when you don't have anything to compare to.

Thanks Guys!
Sam