Clutch side crank seal replacement

Started by Big Mac, January 25, 2011, 01:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

I'm helping a buddy bring his '74 Harescranbler back to life. Rod was tight and transmission fine, we rebuilt the top end only. When we finally got it to fire off, it runs only if we keep gassing it hard and spews steady thick oil-smoke that won't clear.

Seems that the left side main seal is gone and trans oil is sucking through. Anyone have any tricks or suggestions for replacing the seal behind the pinion gear by going in from the left--how to pull the outside bearing and get to the seal? Is it possible---or only method is to tear the motor all the way down from the right side and press the crank out, then replace the seal from inside out?

I've replaced the oil side main seal on a CZ in about 20 minutes, but the Czechs put the seal outside of the bearings. [V]
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Rocket

The only way I know to do it is by splitting the cases.
Rocket

chicagojerry

you have to split the cases. you can change that seal without pushing out the entire seal cup/holder but you have to have the crank out. good luck, if you need some advice along the way, feel free to either call my cell 440 213 5146 or email me at [email protected]        chi jer

Big Mac

Thanks, thought that was likely the case. Not worried about splitting cases, just hate to go that much trouble after getting it all back together...and a pain to push the crank out and draw it back in.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

G Ellis

Big Mac removing the crank is easy, I have a tool to push it out. To put it back in, heat the outer bearing up and crank will slide in easy. I have made the tool to push the crank out before,if enough interest in this tool I will make some more up. Later Gary