Home Page Photo Quiz - February 2011

Started by Admin, February 06, 2011, 10:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

Can you guess where this 1973 State Championship was held and name some of the riders?

http://www.pentonusa.org/archive/homepage/2011/default_030111.htm

rob w

I count 5 Berkies, and possibly rider #7 is on a Steel Tanker.
Guess that race to be in Ravenna, OH.
Looks like at this time, everyone was using the new "ape hanger" handlebars.
I see the guy in the fore front was the first in the neighborhood with magnesium hubs.
I know Greenberg is 17......maybe Leak #4.

Bob

ALB

It was held at "Mid-Ohio" in Lexington, Ohio.
Unfortunately I do not know who the riders in the photo are.
It appears that it is the 100cc class.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

joe novak

The grassy starting area most certainly looks like Mid-Ohio in Lexington, Ohio.   This is the track where Grand Prix Moto-Cross was raced for many years, and many of the Ohio State Championship Races where held.  This track is not the same track or location as the one which VMD is located.  Ravenna (aka Ohio International Raceway) had a rough disced starting area.   It was like riding through a plowed farm field, and I have also done that....   Yes, 100cc class with  Jeff Greenburg and Jon Leak.  I watched Jon race there and finish the race with a mangled, wobbly front wheel.   Joe

jeff greenberg

Hey guys, Bill asked me to chime in here with some fun info from this race. Thanks to Dale Fisher for submitting the pic. Was a nice surprise to go on the site Monday and see it! Ok, yes, it's Mid-Ohio. Yes, that's me #17 and the "late" Jon Leak in front in the white jersey and helmet. Jon went on to win this race in '73. The starting gate was a sea of berkies that day! I'll do my best to recall some of these Penton pilots. Some of the names may ring a bell with you old Ohio boys.
Kevin Piasecki ('72 winner);Mark Tracy;Rod Croskey;Lee Hale;Doug Beasley;Dan Hall;Gary Bodi;Regg Rader;Mark Outland;Clint Fannin;Jeff Gerber;Bruce Sanderson;Mark Weidner;Ray Baxter;Jim Hagele. I believe the 2nd and 3rd place finishers from'72 (Bob Croiser and Dane) were not in this '73 race.I know that Bob was in the open class. Also, 125 class was won by Rod Bush(Pen),2nd was Pa.'s Joe Trettle(Pen). 250 class was won by Jeff Piasecki(Pen) with 2nd taken by Doug Beam(Pen)
I'd say not too bad of a day for the Penton brand!!!
Jeff

Dale Fisher

Back from the archives.

Dale Fisher
Pure Michigan
So many projects, so little time!
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry