straight gas

Started by derek martin, February 21, 2011, 08:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derek martin

I don't know the background or the motive of the organization behind the website listed below but I used it to find a Shell station within reasonable driving distance of where I live that sells 93 octane straight gas (non-ethanol) - http://pure-gas.org

Also, anybody got a good recommendation as to what glue works best for a new seat cover to fiberglass Penton seat base?

Regards, Derek Martin.

Rocket

Derik
For seat covers, I buy a tube of "contact cement", that works great.
Rocket

Kip Kern

3M Weatherstrip cement (yellow) Is what my seat guy uses in his shop.

Lew Mayer

That's what I use, too. Works great.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

derek martin

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll use a combination of the two recommendations - the 3M yellow away from the edge of the vinyl for a stronger bond and contact cement at the perimeter of the vinyl for quick grip holding the cover in place while the 3M cures and for holding the edges down. -Derek

firstturn

Here is some good news...at least to me it is.

Report: House votes 'overwhelmingly' to block E15 fuel
by Zach Bowman (RSS feed) on Feb 22nd 2011 at 9:27AM

According to The Detroit News, the U.S. House of Representatives has voted to block the Environmental Protection Agency from moving toward a higher blend of ethanol in America's gasoline. Representatives voted 286-135 against allowing the EPA to issue a waiver that would allow gas stations to sell E15. Currently, fueling stations are only allowed to sell E10, which contains up to 10 percent of the biofuel. The new legislation would allow a 50-percent increase in the amount of ethanol sold in each gallon of gasoline. Representative John Sullivan (R-Oklahoma) attached an amendment to the bill to provide funding for the U.S. government through September, effectively killing the legislation.

While The Renewable Fuels Association criticized the decision to stop the E15 waiver, several groups were thoroughly against the increase in ethanol. Those include everyone from the Specialty Equipment Market Association to the American Bakers Association.

The EPA has already approved E15 for vehicles made after 2001, but some groups worry that a higher blend across the board could wind up corroding older engines. Meanwhile, proponents of the increase claim that larger ethanol quantities will help lower America's dependence on foreign oil.

[Source: The Detroit News]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

thrownchain

There was an interesting article in the Sunday paper here about the effect on ethanol gas on outboard motors and the boating industry as a whole. I'll see if I can find a link to it.

firstturn

Yes the boat industry is going through a tough time since the Ethanol is eating up the old fiberglass tanks of which some are built in at the factory.  If you look at the list that was provided where you can buy non ethanol gas you will see a big number of non-Ethanol  gas sold is at Marinas, but sometimes that isn't true.  I have sold all my big boats and am just finished fighting this nonsense with Ethanol.  This is actually a backdoor attempt to force people to buy newer model cars.  Anyway I just buy C-12 for my bikes.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

sixdazed

I should drop to my knees and thank whoever came up with the ethanol idea.Only because in the slow times our shop always has work due to ethanol/poor storage practices.I'd say at least 50% of our work anymore is fuel related.In a bad economy it has kept us busy.But i hate seeing customers spend money time after time to have carbs/tanks cleaned from leaving gas in tank (sometimes after only a few weeks).:(This stuff is crap and i hate using it in my new truck even though it's FlexFuel capable.There are additives out now to address the ethanol issue and i'm experimenting with different ones.Oh well,
             Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

tomale

I think it is interesting that when I use the ethenol fuel, my mileage drops about 2-3 miles per gallon.. If it is burn more fuel, how is that making my vehicle burning cleaner?
Why are we not using our precious land to grow crops that feed people instead of creating a fuel additive that causes us to use more oil not less? How is that helping us to limit our need of foreign oil? Me thinks there is something a foot.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74'250 hare scrambler (project)
74' 1/2 440 maico
78' 440 maico
72' cr125 Husky (project)
74' TM125 suzuki
93' RMx 250 suzuki

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

hankthecrank

I saw a study that revealed just how much sense this whole ethanol fuels controversy makes. It takes enough corn to make 1 gal. of ethanol as it does to feed 27 families. Its a government mandated program and it does not have to be cost efficent. Just like farm subsidies, foreign aid, kids eating their motorcycles etc, etc, etc.

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart