Hello New Member

Started by Kurt Adams, February 21, 2011, 08:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurt Adams

Hello all,

Long time reader of the forums, but first post.  Some of you probably know me but for those who don't, here's a little about me and "my" bike. - Frame #303638855.

My Dad bought a Penton back in 73 from Gladwin cycle in Gladwin, MI.  He has owned it since new.  Apparently it caused quite a stir with my mom because of how much it cost.  The way the story goes,   she almost made him take it back or sell it.  

I remember riding around with him in upper Michigan when I was a kid sitting on the tank, and I always thought the bike was cool.  I spent many miles sitting atop that gas tank from '79 to about '84.  

When I was 8 years old, I learned to ride on this bike.  My dad told me never to go above 25mph.  I always thought it was because it would hurt the engine, but I eventualy figured out it was because he didn't want me flyin' down the lane between the corn fields and flipping the bike!!  Needless to say, it saw the north side of 35mph lots of times after that.

In Junior high I had a friend that had a Honda XR100 and he always made fun of my "old pig" motorcycle.  That is, until I raced him....The "old pig" got a lot of respect that day from the XR100 rider.  

In about 1991, the bike was put up in the barn and sat there with 2,084 miles on the odometer until late 2009.  At that point I snuck it back to my house and decided to restore it.  My dad has no idea what I'm doing with the bike, but I plan to give it back to him on fathers day 2011.  

I've found out a whole bunch of neat things about this bike during the process.  It's a 73, but it has some 72 equipment on it.  Aluminum fenders were on the bike new, and remain on the bike now.  Apparently, the throttle is a 72 item as well.  There's some other stuff too, but I can't remember off the top of my head.  Anyway, I've attached a few pics of it as it sits right now.  I'll update it as it goes.

Unfortunately, I took almost ZERO before pictures.  I should have, 18 years in a barn does a motorcycle NO good!:(

Here it is after paint

Here it is after some progress

Here is the "before" of the wheels

New chrome

More progress!

Engine's in!!

This is what it looks like today

Needs more work I know!  Please ignore the crusty shocks.  I need to replace those at some point.

Well, sorry for the long first post, but I thought I should introduce "my" bike.

'73 Berkshire
\\\'73 Berkshire 100

Keith Meatyard

Welcome, I too am fairly new to this group and the vintage restoration.  This group of folks has been great help.  Beautiful job you are doing on the bike.  If I may ask, since my 175 rims look just about like yours in the before photos, who did your chroming and approx cost per rim?  It is one of my next steps.

Thanks,

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

OUCWBOY

Welcome Kurt!

Great start so far. Looks really good!

Donny

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Doug Bridges

Way to go Kurt. The world needs more kids like you. Your dad is a lucky man!

Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Rickman Zundapp
78 Suzuki PE175
82 XR200R
Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Rickman Zundapp
78 Suzuki PE175
82 XR200R

Ken Faro

Im fairly new to the Penton group but these guys are a great bunch with all the knowledge you will need and willing to share it,great job by the way..Ken

hankthecrank

Welcome Kurt. Great story and beautiful job on the bike. Your dads smile will light the sky and I think yours will match ! Any info you need this is the group of guys to ask.

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

tomale

Kurt, great story and nice bike, welcome to the best place in all of vintage racing..

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74'250 hare scrambler (project)
74' 1/2 440 maico
78' 440 maico
72' cr125 Husky (project)
74' TM125 suzuki
93' RMx 250 suzuki

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Kurt Adams

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies.  It's rewarding sharing the progress since I can't show my dad! I'll tell you I can't wait for the first start up with this bike.  It's going to bring a lot of memories back to me.  I might even try riding on the tank again with dad driving!!  Just kidding.[:p]

Oh - I forgot to say.  The bike is going to be registerd with the original 1973 MI motorcycle plate that dad got for it when he bought the bike.  It's been hanging in the garage at his house since I can remember and one day soon, it's going to disappear!

Keith - Custom Concepts in Detroit, MI did them.  Truth be told it will be cheaper to get the new Radaellis from Walnecks.  If you are determined to keep the original wheels like I was, it can get expensive.  It was $225 a wheel because they were in such bad shape.  They almost passed on re-doing them because they were so bad.  I'll tell you though, they did an excellent job with them.  You would never know how bad they were to start with.

Donny from Paragould - Do you work for the Tenneco plant down there?  If so, we work for the same company.  

Doug - Where did you get your parts for the Rickman Zundapp?  My friend is re-doing one and he's having a hard time locating a few things.  Any leads would be appreciated!

I'll be back to update as I get the bodywork finished.

-Kurt

'73 Berkshire
\\\'73 Berkshire 100

OUCWBOY

Kurt,
No, I am retired Military but now I have to work for a living. I work as an IT network installer for a Flower Company..Teleflora.

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Doug Bridges

Kurt
On the Rickman Zundapp parts there is no one go to place to get them. First thing you want is to do everything you can to salvage any part you have. I have got some from ebay, I have put out calls on Marks vintage swapmeet and been successful, speedandsport.com has some parts and do nice custom machine work and make cables etc. There are a number of guys that have NOS parts squirled away and if you can get them in the right mood they might let go of some. There is one guy that frequents this forum that has a pile of these bikes. Put out a call for what you need where ever there are vintage MX people and you may be surprised.

Actually I just looked at Marks Swapmeet and there is one of the biggest piles of Rickman Zundapp parts I have seen on there right now. Better hurry.

Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Rickman Zundapp
78 Suzuki PE175
82 XR200R
Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Rickman Zundapp
78 Suzuki PE175
82 XR200R

gooddirt

Great job, what frame paint did you use? I have alot of Rickman /Zundapp parts. LG

Kurt Adams

Thanks for the info on the Rickman parts.  I'll forward it to my friend.

Frame paint was Bengal Silver powder coat.

'73 Berkshire
\\\'73 Berkshire 100