Hall of Fame Museum breakfast at Daytona

Started by Paul Danik, March 13, 2011, 06:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Greetings,

We had some interesting experiences on our recent trip to Daytona, I would like to tell of one in the hope that others might take in this event if the opportunity presents itself. If this bores you I am sorry, don't say I didn't warn you :)

On our recent trip to Daytona we attended the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum breakfast, I would highly recommend that anyone who has the chance to attend one of these yearly events to do so. The breakfast was held at the Daytona 500 Club for the first time and the folks all seemed to really like this location.

The Daytona 500 Club is located in the infield of the track which means that you get to drive through the tunnel that goes under the track at the main entrance, I personally get a thrill out of driving though this tunnel every time I get to do so. We were able to drive right up to the Daytona 500 Club building and park, I mention this as for some events at the track there is a lot of walking to do, but not for this one.  John Penton commented at the breakfast that when he rode the Alligator Enduro many years ago the trail ran right through where the Daytona 500 Club building now sits.  Once inside the Club building I noticed that Daytona Victory Lane was just outside the other side of the building. It was pretty neat to be able to walk right outside and be in the center of Victory Lane, it was certainly a Kodak moment for Dave, Chad and I.

There was a silent auction for a number of interesting items of memorabilia as well as a live auction for several larger items. The buffet breakfast was great as was the interviews of attendees that was done during the meal. After the meal the guest of honor was introduced and interviewed. This year's special guest was Erik Buell.  

I personally was very captivated by what Erik had to say. To me it was like going back in time and listening to John Penton excitedly telling of his Penton motorcycle and where he felt it was headed; only now it was Erik who was telling of constantly going out on a limb to pursue his dream motorcycle. Erik told some really interesting stories of how he and his comrades overcame numerous obstacles in getting their newest creation up and running. I have to state once again how strikingly similar Erik's passion and excitement are to that of John Penton and how infectious it is....

I was able to discuss with Erik before the interview a little about his early days.  Erik grew up on a farm about 5 miles from Mars, Pa, he said he just recently sold the farm to help fund his new project. One of Erik's first "off the farm" jobs was working for a local transmission shop whose owner I still see quite regularly. Erik sent a note home with me to give him, in it Erik thanks him for teaching him how to work hard, I know it will mean a lot to him to read the note from his now famous former employee. Erik told of removing transmissions while working on what was mostly a dirt floor, and how he had to wrestle them out from under the car while they pretty much rested on his chest. I mentioned to Erik how it would be neat for the Mars Historical Society to have a Buell in their collection of local memorabilia...he seemed to be taken back that the locals from his childhood days would like to honor him.

The breakfast is a fund raiser for the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum and a donation of $ 75.00 is asked for attending the event, I certainly felt that I got my monies worth.

For more information on Erik
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Buell

Erik Buell Racing

http://www.erikbuellracing.com/

Thanks,
Paul

Mike OReilly

Bored? Not even close. The parallels that you draw are fascinating. In fact there is more that is unsaid: each got involved with a larger corporation, and in the end? I guess you would have to ask Mr. Penton or Erik Buell how they feel that those deals turned out. Or perhaps maybe better not to ask.
Anyway, that's not my point. My point is that after many years of Penton and KTM ownership, I bought something a whole lot different last summer, something that was on my "bucket list" of bikes. I always figured that when a Buell Ulysses came my way I would make it happen. Sure enough I got the message that there was one at a nearby dealer, and with the demise of Buell Motorcycles, the deal was too good to pass up. And it was a Police demo model to boot (complete with blue and red strobes - although they pulled the siren off) and with the three hard detachable bags.
Definitely one of the coolest bikes I've ever owned, and I truly believe that as the years pass the Buells will become American classics along the lines of Pentons.
Thanks for the great story Paul.
Mike O'Reilly