Number Plate Bracket

Started by Gordon Brennan, March 12, 2011, 09:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Brennan

Hi Folks, I'm looking for a simple bracket to hold a front oval number plate to the forks. Don't want to just zip tie the plate. Looking for something that holds it out, away from the forks and clamps.
Thanks, Gordon
[email protected]

KJDonovan

Gordon,

When I did my Jack Piner I used what is called sanitary stainless steel pipe hangers.  I just used the clamp portion, which came in the size I needed 32MM and they had a silicone grommet, so the fork tubes wouldn't get marred where I clamped them on.  Then I just drilled a couple of holes through the front plate and ran a couple bolts through the plate into the hanger clamp.  Using these gave the right stand off distance and it doesn't wiggle around, which is good cause my front plate is the one with the headlight built in.  I'll look around for the web site of the supplier I got them from.  If you want to see what they look like just stop by.

Found it, see page 34 in the catalog on this link

http://www.duhig.com/Images/Behringer/Behringer%20RH%20Series.pdf

Thanks,

KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
71 Yamaha AT1 (Project)
73 Yamaha AT3 (Project)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Big Mac

Low tech and effective:

Take a short piece of 1" dia or so pvc pipe or gray plastic electrical conduit, get out a 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" hole saw, center on the pipe and drill so you end up with a couple of arcs that should match pretty well to a 35mm fork tube in two pipe pieces.

Cut these to the 1" or whatever set-out distance you want. You can be creative on how you attach these to a number plate. Easiest I've found is to use zip ties through plate holes that keep the tie inside the pipe spacer, and then out through side holes or notches drilled in the spacers at the fork tube to wrap around.

Just an idea.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

rob w

Gordon,
Yeah I know. The cables have to have freedom do to their thing. I cringe when I see the front number plate zip tied tight to the forks.

I've found what does the job well, are the stand-off brackets that originally came with Preston Petty's headlight. Black - plastic - re-useable - fits all dia. forks. Makes the plate apx 1 1/4 off the tubes. And a much cheaper way to go than the custom machined aluminum models made.
 I don't believe the reproduction P.P. lights that are made today come with those brackets.
Bob