Off Topic Shock Question

Started by Mick Milakovic, March 17, 2011, 11:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Milakovic

Hi All, I'm rebuilding a 1980 PE175 for my brother.  Are the stock KYB shocks rebuildable?  Also, was that a good set of shocks, meaning, did they perform well?  Thanks in advance,

Mick
Mick

JCHubbard

According to the website below, I don't think they are.  They have suggestions for good replacement aftermarket shocks, in case your interested. It's a great website chock full of Suzuki PE information.

http://cid-407d7ef0965d3991.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Pure%20Enduro

John Hubbard
JC Hubbard

paul a. busick

Mike,
I have two PE 175s, a 78 and a 83.  I have used both of them for some time in the AHRMA events with good results.  They are both box stock except for the shocks on the 78 and o ring chains on both. The shocks on the 78 are not worth rebuilding, it would take a lot of money and a very skilled and knowledgeable person.  I have a pair of Progressives (the cheap non rebuildables)on the 78 and they work ok for me. You can spend more on the high dollar rebuildable if you have a fat wallet. The only complaint that I have about the PEs are the brakes. If they get wet, they have very little effect on reducing your forward speed.  Be sure to disassemble the brakes and clean abd dry them after a DAMP ride. Oh yeah. The air cleaner on the 78 is a pain to service.  Give them good service and preperation before each ride and you will have a great time on the PE.  They are as reliable as an anvil.  Another good point-most parts are available at your local Suzuki dealer.  Ebay is not the only source for bits and pieces.
Amherst Paul  :D