Rear MX fender needed

Started by fzrr750, April 11, 2002, 02:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fzrr750

Does anybody know what universal rear fender will work on my 79 KTM 250MX? Or does anybody know what other rear fenders will work well om my bike? This is a narrow framed bike with a narrow seat. The mount area is 6 inches wide. The exit area behind the seat is 6 inches also. I do not want a used one unless it is near mint. I do not want to paint a used one in other words. Acerbis has a universal front fender I bought that fits great on my bike. I cannot seem to locate any universal rear fenders for my bike anywhere in the MX style 6 inch with.
 This is holding me up on finishing my bike. I do not wish to paint my frame until I get a fender test fited and then I can paint the frame. Some easy summer project. I have been looking for over 3 months now!!
  Thanks, guys.    Ed T.

71 Suzuki TM400,76 Suzuki RM250,74 Yamaha MX360,79 KTM 250MX,89 KTM 250EXC, 87 Yamaha FZRR750 X-endurance racer #112.

tmc3c

fzrr750. Have you tried H&H KTM in Douglasville G.A.[770]920-1371 or Al Buehner in Cleveland Ohio [216]651-6559

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

fzrr750

Tom, yes to the KTM place. They never got back with me. Or e-maild me back...waste of a phone call to a place that really only likes modern bikes. No, to Al. I do not like the idea of spending too much money on phone calls as I call Japan alot and Downunder and my wife does not like that ($300.00 phone bill). I have 9 bikes and I am only putting the last two back together and I am on a budget as per my wife. This is my last project bike to finish this summer. I had 18 bikes at one time (4 summers ago) and my wife put her foot down to that!!! Had to get rid of some. Al...get e-mail. I am almost 50 and I can use a computer!!!!!!! I have been using one for almost 15 years!!!!!

71 Suzuki TM400,76 Suzuki RM250,74 Yamaha MX360,79 KTM 250MX,89 KTM 250EXC, 87 Yamaha FZRR750 X-endurance racer #112.

scott brogan

You know, I gotta wife almost like that too.

Dr.2Stroke

hello Ed. I may can organize a new one (original). if you are really interested,mail me: [email protected] regards Dr.2stroke

Mike Lenz

ED, I too had the same problem. I went with the acerbis univ rear fender. Glued [shoe goo] and screwed it to the seat as were the 76-78 bikes. heated it a little to be a little more round to fit the seat better. Then used a 76-78 inner rear fender also. Bolted right on. I know it sounds a little goofy but has lasted a couple years now racing and all and looks right for the bike. I just used the shoo goo to give the large screws some support. Alan Buehner has the inner rear fenders.

fzrr750

Hey, Mike. This is different. Do you have a 79?. The Acerbis universal I see on their site is the Nost. It is 7 inches wide at the mout area. My mount area is only 6 inches wide. Do they have another universal one that I do not know about? I bouth the universal front and it fits great!!!
 Thanks, Mike.   Ed T.

joeaw

Oh, my! It seems I'm always an hour late or a dollar short. I have a new Preston Petty MX rear fender that just happens to be 6" wide! The problem is I just this afternoon promised to sell it to someone else. Yeah, I know, "A lot of good that does me." I have a new PP enduro fender that I plan to post on eBay (silver) and a (maybe 2, I'll have to look tomorrow) good used white one that has the light lens missing. I am also going to post 2 silver PP front fenders. NOS still in the bag and 3 PP skid plates (engine guards) Check my auctions the next couple of days.

joeaw

Oh, my! It seems I'm always an hour late or a dollar short. I have a new Preston Petty MX rear fender that just happens to be 6" wide! The problem is I just this afternoon promised to sell it to someone else. Yeah, I know, "A lot of good that does me." I have a new PP enduro fender that I plan to post on eBay (silver) and a (maybe 2, I'll have to look tomorrow) good used white one that has the light lens missing. I am also going to post 2 silver PP front fenders. NOS still in the bag and 3 PP skid plates (engine guards) Check my auctions the next couple of days.

joeaw

and sometimes I press the wrong button or twice. I may have a good used MX fender. I'll take pictures tomorrow. Just tell me where to send them.

fzrr750

Hey, dude. Your don't got no double vision do you? You have any pictures of the 6 inch  MX Preston Petty? I would like to see what one looks like. As for a used one I have people that will sell me one...but they all need paint or they are too sun baked to paint.I do not like to paint fenders as they do not last very long after a few races and jumps!! Fiberglass is a joke to use as they get busted up and you are out of a fender or two real quick. Plastic is more forgiving!! I will take a good clean used one but I will have to drill my own holes as my subframe only has a few places to mount a fender. I had the M Roberts number plate fender on the rear and found that Dr2stroke(who I have bought real nice parts from) has the repo side panels with the number plates built in and they are super nice. He sent me a photo. This is why I want an MX fender so I can buy the side panels from dr2stroke.
 Here is my e-maill address: [email protected]
  Thanks for reverybody.

Mike Lenz

I used the 7 inch noist. It fits. The only tricky part was getting it to draw down on top, its not as round, but pressing it into the narrower area helps this some automatically, and I believe I used a hair drier and worked with it to make it a little more round yet. Get your top mount right then use two more big metal screws to pull the sides against the base.careful not to strip that top screw. I used huge ones and cut them off short. The fender doesnt quite meet the base on top in the middle but I came dam close and it looks orig if you didnt know better. Make sure you also use Shoe Goo, or Automotive Goop, all the same wonderful stuff. Shoot some in the screw holes and on the back side of the fender. It wont come off, but you can still get it off if you want to. I have a 80 420, same seat.

fzrr750

Mike, thanks for the tips. If my deal does not go through with Joe or Dr2stroke (cost wise) I will do your trick. Yes...the seats are the same.   Ed T.