sun rims

Started by tmc3c, April 08, 2002, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

what is the easy way to get my rims to shine like new? any suggestions?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Dr.2Stroke

Take a 10% solution of lead nitrate(caution: poisenous!,work only with gloves),and then you can use common polishing material. Better than new!

tmc3c

Dr.2stroke can you elaborate on this process a little. Where would one find lead nitrate? Is it a liquid or a paste? Do I rub it on and wipe off? Thanks for responding

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

sachsmx

Try Mothers mag polish or similar metal polish.

tmc3c

I have tried eagle one mag-chrome aluminum metal polish. But didn't read that you can't let dry and I did let it dry like other polishes. Now I have spot's that the shine isnt even. There is a very good word for this job I did, So now I am trying to correct the job I did.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Rocket

I think the Sun rims were painted or anodized.  I tried to clean some stains from mine with scotchbrite and WD40 and the coating started coming off.  I imagine you could strip them this way and them buff  with aluminum polish and a buffing wheel.
Rocket

tmc3c

After finding out I wasn't suppose to let the polish to dry, I cleaned the rims with comet cleanser. It took the shine right off. I then tried the polish again and the spots were still there. It look's like it is in the metal.I tried never dull like I used to use on my Flat tracker but that didn't help either. I might just have to live with the spots. These rims weren't painted and I don't see any flaking ,it appears to be solid metal.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Gavin Housh

Sun rims are anodized. If you want to polish them first you need to remove the anodizing. Call your local plater and ask if they can remove the anodizing. Then you will be able to polish the aluminum by what ever means you chose. I would use a buffing wheel and rouge. It takes alot of elbow grease and time to get a mirror finish, but it's worth it in the end. Some people have the rim reanodized after they're polished, and this can be done in different colors. I like the black or gold after polishing. It looks sweet! Other colors are also available including clear. Any color anodizing will keep its looks much longer than just a simple polishing. Check with you local plater and ask if they will throw in the removal procees if you commit to having the rim reanodized. Anodizing here on the west coast usualy has a minimum charge of $60.00. Find out how much stuff you can get done for your money, you might be able to get your buddies rims done for the minimum charge. Good luck. Gavin

tmc3c

Thanks Gavin !  Is it possible to do this process with the spokes and hubs still in?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tmc3c

Rocket as usual you are right on time again!!! Seems like you been around my 76 a few times.CAN YOU DO A CARL CRANK PORTING JOB? ha ha!! Doesn't seem like anybody but the man himself can.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Dr.2Stroke

Lead nitrate is a salt,its also called"lead sugar"(because its as sweet as usual sugar,but better dont eat it...!)The formula is Pb(NO3)2. Maybe youll get it at your drug store,or your house doctor could also help getting it. Lead salt solutions destroy every oxidation surfaces of aluminium,also the anodizing.its one of the best "primers"for polishing works! dr.2stroke

Dr.2Stroke

Sorry,little mistake. the lead sugar is not lead nitrate,but lead acetate. but the guy at your drugstore will check this. you can also take lead chloride.but be careful! Poisenous!

tmc3c

Thanks dr.2 stroke I'll check out the drug store and let you know! I try and stay away from the doctors!Evenif you are well they will find something wrong!They got to find a way to pay for those HARLEY'S that they pull around in those wells cargo trailers!!!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Dr.2Stroke

Luckily i dont have a Harley....  they are treated as gold here in Switzerland,and the riders are doctors too. and especially lawyers,judges and so! im just a little KTM Doctor,so dont worry......

tmc3c

Good thing you don't own a Harley, I had forgot that I was talking to a REAL DOCTOR !! And as far as Harley's go , it's the same here in the states.Doctors ,lawyers,judges all who have never even riden a motorcycle now own one to look cool! Thus the good looking traier comes into play, not only do they not have riding time under there belts the old hogs seem to die a lot.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler