Off Topic - Bultaco Question

Started by KJDonovan, May 06, 2011, 01:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJDonovan

Kinda way off topic, but I figured someone here has probably twisted wrenches on Bultaco's before so here goes.  

I have a neighbor who picked up a 71 Bultaco Matador and he is bringing it by tomorrow to see if I can help him with a no spark issue.   Already had him get a flywheel puller, but I do not know if the nut on that flywheel is LH (turn left to tighten) or RH (turn right to tighten) ?  I am guessing LH same as Penton's but I am not sure, and I certainly do not crank it on any more.  Anyone got any ideas?  I posted the same on the Bultaco Owners forum, but there is next to zip for traffic there so I have heard nothing.

Thanks,
KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
71 Yamaha AT1 (Project)
73 Yamaha AT3 (Project)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Larry Perkins

Kevin,

Call Hugh's Bultaco at (518)851-7184.  They can line you out on most anything Bultaco and have a gob of parts NOS and repro.

Larry P

firstturn

KJ,
  I always look at the thread to be sure.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

SouthRider

Generally speaking the threads are designed to spin in the opposite direction that the motor spins (to help keep it tight instead of spinning it off).

So if the magneto is on the right side they will be left handed, while the primary gear on the same motor will be right handed.

If the mag is on the left side it is typically right hand thread, etc.

Don Burgess taught me that theory when I was 18 and it's still right there off the top of my head. Imagine that!

When I bought my new KTM with everything on the wrong side I instantly knew what to do.

Now if I could only remember when I'm suposed to bring milk home....

Clark
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

idiotboy

My Bultacos all have right hand threaded magneto nuts

KJDonovan

Thanks Guys.

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)