Rider and the Wonder Dog are together again

Started by wfopete, July 18, 2011, 05:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfopete

From Cyclenews:

John McCown, the man made famous by racing in the desert with his dog Kookie on the gas tank of his motorcycle, died on July 14.

For some six years, McCown and Kookie averaged nearly 50 races a year in the southwest desert, including the infamous Barstow-to-Vegas race.

"I'll race for as long as there's a desert out there and the BLM will stay off our back and we can get out there and do it," McCown said in an interview in American Motorcyclist in 1981.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

hankthecrank

I remember waiting for reports from the races about Wonder dog!

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

Jeff D

I used to ride my dog, Nick, on the tank of my 850 Norton Commando for hours at a time.  Had to weat a full face helmet with the shield down to avoid the dog slobber!  He loved it and we got lots of looks and thumbs up from passing traffic.  Duct taped a towel to the top of the tank...traction for him and to protect the paint.
....but it wasn't anything close to what John and Kookie did every weekend!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

OhioTed

Truly sad news.  When I was a spud, the monthly motorcycle magazines were our (only) window on the wide world of motorcycles, which existed outside of the familiar trails out in the old strip mines behind my home.  Stories of the great desert races, and very special characters like John & Kookie, made our desire to grow into that big, fascinating world all the more alluring.

It should be noted that Kookie's role as John's co-rider was far from that of simply a static passenger.  Instead, the celebrated pooch constantly scanned and read the terrain ahead as he and John blasted along.  By doing so, he would already be standing and bracing himself against John, and gripping with his claws the ever-present carpet he stood upon on the fuel tank, when the pair encountered rough going.  

Any of you who appreciate the special bond people enjoy with their beloved pets can understand the enjoyment John and Kookie experienced.  RIP, John.    

sixdazed

I remember meeting John and Cookie's off spring(Cookie #2 or 3 i think) the night before Adelanto GP in the late 70's.He was on a Canned Ham and rode with Cookies pup.Super nice guy.
                                                    Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...