Vintage Southwick, MA

Started by skiracer, August 07, 2011, 09:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiracer

Well, I rode my second MX in 30 years this weekend.  The track is the same one used for the Nationals.  The soil was a sandy/clay mix, track is well watered and groomed.  I had never started from a concrete starting gate before, so I took a conservative start for the first moto.  As with any sand, the track changed as the moto progressed.  All said and done, I finished second in my class.  For the second moto, I took the approach that I was now an "experienced" concrete starter, so I got real aggressive.  I did my best impression of pro rider Mike Brown, and pulled a nice holeshot.  God, I love these bikes!  Unfortunately, I made a critical error in the third corner; the track makes a wide, sweeping corner that went up a hill.  I chose an inside line that was smooth in the first moto.... not any more!  I lost a lot of momentum, and three positions.  Within 3/4 of the first lap, 5 other riders were by me.....oh well.  End of the moto, 2nd place again, netting the overall win for my class.....  But the best part of the day was meeting so many spectators and riders who "remember seeing Pentons back in the day,"  and also enjoyed meeting new riders that share the passion of riding vintage bikes.  And of course, spending a day on this great bike doing what the bike and I do best....motocross.....  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1982 Suzuki PE 175
1976 Husqvarna 175GP
2002 KTM 200 EXC
2007 KTM 250 XCF
1981 KTM 250 (Project)
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Gordon Brennan

I was also there and had a short conversation with skiracer before his moto. I was videoing a friend of mine, who rode the expert class, in the same race.
This was my second VMX ACR race with my 73 Husky, in the Pre 75 250 class. Southwick was great. A lot of sand and long. No serious jumps and very Vintage friendly.
Skiracer, If you would like me to send you a DVD of your race, email or call me. I have some good footage of you on there.
Gordon
[email protected]
860-774-6994

Gordon Brennan

Here's the first moto from Southwick's Vintage race, from my friend Gary's helmet cam. Skiracer is a couple bikes to the left of Gary, at the gate. Gary's on an Ossa Phantom. Lot's of mechanical problems that day. But they didn't seem to slow him down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we_xqj09tAk&feature=related