clutch hub nut

Started by Mickey Sergeant, August 21, 2011, 06:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey Sergeant

Was checking my tranny and having problems keeping the clutch hub nut tight. was coming loose again. Using red loctite and used my air gun last time  at 135psi being carefull not to strip. Any sugestions on why it wants to come loose. It's the Sachs 6b motor.

OUCWBOY

Isn't there a lock type washer that goes there?? I'm on the road and don't have my parts manual to reference, but I'm thinking there is one.

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Mickey Sergeant

Just rechecked my parts manual. It shows a washer and the nut. No type of lock washer. If I added a lock washer dont know if there would be enough room left to install the clutch to line up to get the cerclip on. After the nut the ball cage goes on. I will play around with it to see if thats a option. Thanks for the thought.

Paul Danik

Mickey,

I haven't put one together for many moons, but I will try to help.

I do remember finding that nut loose a few times back in the day.

Did you just rebuild the bottom end of the engine, or did you just happen to find that the nut was loose? I ask so as to eliminate any possibility of the shaft being miss shimmed on the inside allowing you to run out of threads, if that is even possible....

I would put the clutch hub on and make sure that the nut is pulling tight against it, maybe the washer under the hub is wrong, to thin? I keep going back to maybe you are running out of threads and not pulling down on the hub.

When you use the loctite did you use the the cleaner first?

The suggested torque in my book is 57 - 65 ft. lb., I prefer to torque with a torque wrench, but that is just an old guy with old ways :)

Hope this helps, anyone who sees I am all wet please chime in, just trying to throw some ideas out to help find the solution.
Good luck,
Paul

Mickey Sergeant

This is the 3rd time a found it loose when I am working on my tranny adjustment. Allmost positive I'm not running out of threads because it pulls tight with no play. The loctite cleaner is something I didn't think of. I might not be getting it clean for the loctite to work.I did go to my local hardware store that carries a good selection of nuts and bolts to see if I could match up a lock washer or even a wave washer. Nothing close. I think I will try fastenall tomorrow to see what they have.

Paul Danik

How are you holding the hub when you tighten the nut? Is there a chance that it is moving a bit as you tighten the nut?  I used to use a pair of chain vise grips to hold the hub when tightening that nut.  Doug Wilford will give me thirty lashes if he reads this for not using the proper Sachs hub holding tool :), but the chain vise grips sure did the job.

Just a random thought, run the nut on the threads by hand without the hub and see if it feels like the threads on the nut are worn, we are working with 30 +++ year old engines and maybe that one was apart more times than you can count. Maybe a new nut might help.

Paul

ALB

Mickey,

A new nut and washer are in the mail coming to you.

Alan Buehner

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

Mickey Sergeant

Thanks Al. I was going to call you to double check if there was suppose to be some kind of lock washer.

Kip Kern

My guess is too much end play in the Lay Shaft causing this to get loose.  Pull the clutch assy off, clutch hub assy too, and grab the lay shaft and see if there is any movement past .004, if it is too loose it needs reshimmed (could be a bad/missing spring washer behind the lay shaft bearing or possible bad LS bearing).  I have never experienced this myself or noticed it tearing down engines but anything is possible.

ALB

Mickey,

The washer is 2mm thick. There is no lock washer. The new nut might should help.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner