total knee replacements

Started by hotgrips, November 18, 2005, 06:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

James,

Glad to hear things are going well for you.  If you get a chance you ought to try to make the ISDT reunion ride this fall, last weekend in October in New Blane, AR. I think your son would have to be 16 to ride and he would need to be on a vintage machine, you being an ISDT vet can ride any machine you wish, but this event would give your son a taste of what you did back in the day.  This is a great event for fathers and sons to ride together, or if you don't have machines ready to ride just come on out and enjoy the fellowship of the group.

Take care, and good luck with your Penton.

Paul Danik

Ernie Phillips

Bravo James!  Great to have you back in tip-top shape.

I used to have the blues,
Because I had no shoes.
Until upon the street,
I met a man who had no feet!

Happy to have banged up knees that still work and good to know that when they need rework, that double knee replacement is not the end of the road, actually a new beginning.  As Paul indicated, ISDT RR is THE ride I most want to do this year.  And getting to ride with my son, brother, cousin ... and getting to meet and ride with ISDT vets like you and Paul will only make a good time better.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

hotgrips

PostScript to bilateral total knee replacements again:  Here I am 8 years after the bilateral knee replacements.  I happen to have 135 degrees of flex on the two joints now.  But I wouldn't recommend the technique, as it was very painful.  I was on some medication that lowered my blood pressure, and arose too quickly from a nap.  I tried all I cold do to keep from collapsing but it was not to be, folding backwards and down onto the floor in a pile.  Both knees were forced to the mechanical 135 degree limits of the joints, and I was told later I was lucky I didn't tear the ligament anchoring out of the bone.  But now after 7 weeks of rehab, they flex almost as good as a normal knee.  The surgeon who did the original prosthetic implants remarked that my knees are looking fantastic.  Maybe'll I'll restore my ROKON from the 1976 Austrian ISDT and ride it in local motocross next spring.  Just turned 61 this week.

James Hollander
James Hollander

Mark P

We have patrolmen in my department that are in their mid-50s that have knee replacements and do very well. No high-jumping over cedar fences or anything like that of course.

rob w

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by hotgrips

PostScript to bilateral total knee replacements again:  Here I am 8 years after the bilateral knee replacements.  I happen to have 135 degrees of flex on the two joints now.  But I wouldn't recommend the technique, as it was very painful.  I was on some medication that lowered my blood pressure, and arose too quickly from a nap.  I tried all I cold do to keep from collapsing but it was not to be, folding backwards and down onto the floor in a pile.  Both knees were forced to the mechanical 135 degree limits of the joints, and I was told later I was lucky I didn't tear the ligament anchoring out of the bone.  But now after 7 weeks of rehab, they flex almost as good as a normal knee.  The surgeon who did the original prosthetic implants remarked that my knees are looking fantastic.  Maybe'll I'll restore my ROKON from the 1976 Austrian ISDT and ride it in local motocross next spring.  Just turned 61 this week.

James Hollander

Hello James.
Not to loose a season racing I had my left knee replaced 3 years ago.3 months after surgery I raced the ISDT-RR in Ohio with a Gold.
8 weeks ago I got my Right knee replaced.I to took the staples out the day before the nurse came to my home to do it,but I had the proper removing tool and it took only a few minutes and no pain.:D
Now,riding my stationary bicycle several times a day(no outside physio for me darling)I have 110 degree flex and the leg flat.I am taking 2 # 3 for a good night sleep but otherwise I am off the pills.

The new one now...

The OLD one and the NEW one.

Before ( staples )...

The proper tool..:D:D:D