ISDTRR Awards

Started by Jeff D, November 10, 2011, 10:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D

I should have posted this last week, but this thing called work keeps getting in the way!  Anywho, here's the rundown of the major award winners at the 15th Leroy Winters Memorial ISDT Reunion Ride along with some commentary.  One here will be a surprise, as the recipient hasn't yet been notified!  See if you can guess!

Bud Ekins "Pioneer" Award:  Awarded posthumously to Leroy Winters and accepted by his son, Bart.  15 years ago Leroy and Bugs Mann went out on a limb and started the ISDT Reunion with 29 participants. 15 years later look where we are now.  What a great event and what a great weekend.  Leroy deserved to have his name on the award.

Al Eames "Mr. ISDT" Award:  Teddy and Rosemary Landers!!!!  Teddy is stepping down as AHRMA cross country coordinator after 8 years.  With the support of Rosemary, Teddy has worked tirelessly to promote the series as well as the Reunion, envisioning and implementing the "Six Day series" of 2-day qualifiers.  Teddy has done a wonderful job, and behind every great man is a great woman.  Thanks to you both!

Leroy Winters Memorial:  Presented to Mike Lewis, former Penton team rider and early 70's ISDT veteran.  Mike has been to nearly every Reunion and was a good friend of Leroy's back "in the day".  A quiet, humble guy, Mike is typical of most of the ISDT riders I've met, always willing to lend a hand, tell a story, and always happy to be riding.

Marcia MacDonald Team Manager Award:  Given to Brian Jahelka who runs MotoTally, the rider identification and scoring system used at the Reunion the past few years.  This is the same system used in many national and regional series and provides quick and accurate results.  Brian spends the whole weekend at the Reunion pretty much behind the scenes, but we couldn't do it without him.  As a sidenote, if your local or regional series needs a great scoring system, contact Brian at MotoTally and give him a try.  This is his full-time gig and any support we can send his way will help the cause.

John Penton Silver Vase:  Awarded to Dane Leimbach and accepted by Jack Penton.  I don't have to begin to tell everybody here what a great guy Dane is and all that he means to the motorcycling and ISDT community.  Jack assured us that receiving the award would mean the world to this great champion.  God bless you, Dane!

Dave Mungenast, Sr. Memorial:  Present to David Haines.  To those who've not met David, he lives in South Africa and each year comes to the Reunion, first along, and now with his riding buddy Gavin Dunlap.  David has bikes stored with friends here in the US just for the Reunion.  The RV he rents each year is pretty much a welcome wagon with tools, spares, mechanical advice and help given to all who come by.  Every motorcyclist was Dave Mungenast's friend, and David Haines exhibits this spirit each year.

Ironman Trophy:  OK, saved the surprise for last!  BILL RYBURN, come on down!  You are the winner of the 2011 IRONMAN TROPHY!  Dave McCullough of the Tulsa Trail Riders threw Bill's name into the hat, which was immediately approved with a big YES!  Bill rode a steel tanker all weekend and in the final moto and did so in fine style.  It is quite fitting that Reunion Ride organizer Leroy Winters also rode steel tankers and helped John Penton with many of the early modifications that helped keep the brand at the top of the stack.  The 2011 course had several tough, rocky ascents and descents, but Bill showed everyone how to do it right on a 43-year old bike!  Congratulations!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

Jeff D

Taken from a note from Bill Nyburg:

"You were correct in mentioning that I was riding a Penton steel tanker - as this is where the credit belongs.  I just hung on to a great motorcycle."

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell